Hold up. 2008? That was a long time ago. For more updated information on marketing with Twitter, check out our ebook, How to Use Twitter for Business.
Taking a page from Technorati and their state of the blogosphere report that reviews survey data from a few hundred bloggers, we're publishing the "State of the Twittersphere" report. This is our first report, for Q4 2008. One thing that is different about this report though is that it is not based on surveys of a few hundred people. It is based on real data pulled from hundreds of thousands of Twitter profiles accessed through the reports generated by Twitter Grader.
Here is a glance at some of the more interesting findings.
- Twitter is dominated by newer users - 70% of Twitter users joined in 2008
- An estimated 5-10 thousand new accounts are opened per day
- 35% of Twitter users have 10 or fewer followers
- 9% of Twitter users follow no one at all
- There is a strong correlation between the number of followers you have and the number of people you follow
You can also read the TechCrunch article - State of the Twittershpere for more info.