Episode #53 - August 14, 2009
(Episode Length: 25 minutes, 8 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ mvolpe , @ repcor with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
Special Guest: Bernie Borges
who is CEO of
Find and Convert
, an inbound marketing agency, and the author of the new book
. (Buy on Amazon or download a
free PDF copy
- Why did you write a book? It takes a lot of time, and you already run an agency...
- What is different about this book as compared to other inbound marketing books?
- Who is the book for? What feedback have you gotten?
- What is the key takeaway?
- You are giving away a PDF of the full book? Why?
- 8% of companies (over 1000 ppl) have fired someone for mis-using Social Media according to a study by Proofpoint
- 15 percent disciplined an employee for violating multimedia sharing / posting policies
- 17 percent disciplined an employee for violating blog or message board policies
- Remember Kevin Colvin? Do a Google search for "cool wand".
- Marketing Takeaway : Hire smart employees who do the right thing, run social media training classes if you have to.
- You can now send any item you are reading to Twitter, Blogger, Facebook, Delicious, Digg, etc. right within Google Reader.
- Marketing Takeaway : Use Google Reader and now it's even easier to be more interesting in social media.
- Facebook is taking their search function and turning it into a social news search engine - you can now do a search of "posts by Friends" or "Posts by Everyone" to find news relevant to your community and the world at large.
- "What does this mean for journalism and PR? A lot. As Facebook Search grows and, yes, learns, it will become a lot more powerful. Over time, it could change our habits and accelerate what many of us are doing now - becoming source agnostic."
- Marketing Takeaway : Make sure you are using Facebook to promote your blog and other business content today to prepare for tomorrow.
- Twitter announces an API to help control, standardize and mainstream retweeting.
- Good: More support and organization for retweets.
- Good: More reach/buzz for the originator of the tweet.
- Problem: Your stream will show the profile pic of the original tweeter, perhaps not someone you know.
- Problem: Companies (besides Twitter itself) lose the ability to track retweets and the spreading of content.
- Marketing Takeaway : Look for your marketing tools to start to leverage these new features.
I'm just launching my site now and will be using the inbound marketing
strategy. I'll make a note to come back to this question in a couple of
weeks and let you know the results of the increased activity, click
throughs, lead conversions, etc.
- One Month Later: I'm very pleased with the results thus far and I've already received a couple 'authentic' leads via my contact page and I attribute this to new content creation; mostly through blogging.
- 988 visitors (820 new) / 2 leads directly as a result of website content (remember, I don't even have landing pages or calls to action set up yet.
- Related article: When Will You Find Your Inbound Marketing Pot of Gold?
Webinar: How to Sell Social Media to Your Boss
Social media guru Chris Brogan explains how to demonstrate the value of social media marketing.
Download the free webinar
to learn how to get your company started with social media.