But what does that mean? What exactly is inbound marketing? And when push comes to shove, how do you define it in black and white?
Well, like a typical inbound marketer, I decided to ask Twitter. The question I posed was, "Can anyone explain or define "inbound marketing" in a tweet? Go." And then I cc'd a bunch of important people with lots of Twitter followers so people would actually read it.
Here's what people had to say. And I'll add the way I define inbound marketing at the end of the post -- I hope you will, too.
What Is Inbound Marketing? 10 Good Definitions in Fewer Than 140 Characters
1) Via @TheRealSunjay, a former HubSpotter, Grouponer, and current employee of Kitchensurfing.
2) Via @Mallikarjunan, a current HubSpotter and author of How to Sell Better Than Amazon.
3) Via @ranjanxroy, co-founder of Informerly and recent guest blogger on this very blog!
4) Via @ObinnaOsobalu, strategist and inbound marketer at TodayBusiness SocialMedia.
5) Via @Susanna_Larosa, social media professional.
6) Via @MyNameIsB2BM, blogger and online marketing enthusiast.
7) Via @TheBostonChow, photographer, writer, and surprisingly, also a southern puppy. True story.
8) Via @pmbaintx, an internet marketing professional.
9) Via @scottnelle, web developer and musician.
@Corey_bos Make things that make people want to work with you.— Scott Nellé (@scottnelle) August 6, 2013
10) Via @mvolpe, HubSpot CMO and guy who has written and spoken about inbound marketing since before it was cool.
How I Define Inbound Marketing
If I have to define inbound marketing in only 140 characters -- and I think succinct definitions are a worthwhile goal -- here's what I got for ya:
Inbound marketing is the discipline of efficiently turning strangers into people that want to -- and should -- do business with you.
What do you think? Good? Bad? So-so? There's a much more descriptive definition of inbound marketing here, if you'd like something succinct yet comprehensive (aka greater than 140 characters, but not so long you fall asleep at the keyboard). Or if all else fails, just listen to my boss.
What do you think? What's your definition of inbound marketing? Try to keep it to fewer than 140 characters ... even though the comments section won't cut you off.
Image credit: Billy Rowlinson