Sick of hearing the same "the internet is changing marketing" speeches? Want hard data to reference so that you can properly forecast and adjust future marketing plans and budgets?
Just want to sound smart in board meetings? Look no further; this post will show you some current data about the state of the internet marketing world that are both helpful, and frankly kind of shocking . Take a gander!
21 Internet Marketing Statistics That May Surprise You
1) The more posts per day, the less engagement -- when a brand posts twice a day, those posts only receive 57% of the likes and 78% of the comments per post. (Source: Track Social ) Be mindful of your publishing frequency on Facebook, and start testing with your own page to see what frequency is right for your community. Tweet This Stat!
2) The click-through rate on triggered messages is 119% higher than “Business as Usual” messages. (Source: Epsilon and DMA ) Using personalized and timely lead nurturing with marketing automation is an important strategy for improving the overall performance of your email marketing and customer generation. Tweet This Stat!
3) On average, companies respond to only 30% of social media fans' feedback. (Source: Factbrowser ) Engagement is rare. Stand out from your competition by caring and engaging with your social media community. Tweet This Stat!
4) The average tablet user spends 13.9 hours per week with the device. (Source: OPA ) The tablet is quickly becoming the new laptop. Survey your customers and leads to understand how they are using tablets, and let that data influence future marketing strategies targeted at tablet users. Tweet This Stat!
5) Text messaging users send or receive an average of 35 messages per day. (Source: Forrester Research ) Peer-to-peer communication through text messaging has become of core part of society's communication infrastructure. Is there is any possible communication that your customers and prospects would like to receive via text message ? Tweet This Stat!
6) Email opens on smartphones and tablets have increased 80% over the last six months. (Source: Litmus ) Mobile devices have become a major source of email usage. Make sure that your email marketing message displays properly on mobile devices to maximize the results of your sends. Tweet This Stat!
7) 27% of TV sets shipped worldwide in Q1 of 2012 had internet connectivity. (Source: Display Search ) Internet connectivity is becoming standard for all devices. With the internet becoming a bigger part of the living room, plan for how this change might disrupt your current broadcast marketing tactics. Tweet This Stat!
8) By 2016, more than half of the dollars spent in US retail will be influenced by the web. (Source: Forrester Research ) Commerce is shifting more and more online. Make sure that you have a method to easily sell your product or service online. Tweet This Stat!
9) In any given week, less than 0.5% of Facebook fans engage with the brand they are fans of. (Source: Marketing Science ) Brands aren't providing the right kind of content and experience to engage their fans. Ask your Facebook fans what type of content they want to see, and then give it to them! Tweet This Stat!
10) 45% of the world's 2 billion internet users live in Asia. (Source: Ecommerce Europe ) If you actively sell and market to Asian markets, the internet is a channel that can't be ignored. Understand how internet usage and habits differ in Asia compared to the United States. Tweet This Stat!
11) 61% of emails received at professional email accounts are non-essential. (Source: Mimecast ) Inboxes are overflowing with marketing email. Use personalization, proper timing, and offers valuable to the recipient to break through the clutter and be seen. Tweet This Stat!
12) 20% of Facebook users have purchased something because of ads or comments they saw there. (Source: Ipsos ) People are influenced by, well, other people. Use paid and organic marketing on Facebook to influence the conversion actions that drive your business. Tweet This Stat!
13) 17% of the top 1000 search terms on Twitter "churn over" on an hourly basis. (Source: Twitter ) Twitter is all about novelty and news. Publish more frequently and focus on timely content to appeal to Twitter's hungry users. Tweet This Stat!
14) U.S. consumers send 2.304 trillion text messages per year, up from 2.052 trillion in 2010. (Source: CTIA ) Wow! That is a ton of text messages. If you are marketing to heavy texting demographics, consider incorporating a text message opt-in as part of your campaign. Tweet This Stat!
15) 40% of the accounts and 8% of the messages on social media sites are spam. (Source: Businessweek ) Email isn't the online platform with a spam problem. Take the time to customize your social media account and content so you stand out from the spam bots. Tweet This Stat!
16) 88% of adults in the US have a cell phone, 57% have a laptop, 19% own an e-reader, and 19% have a tablet. (Source: Pew Internet ) The cell phone is the dominant communication tool in the United States, but information consumption is fragmented. Optimize your digital marketing for all of the screens and devices used by your target audience. Tweet This Stat!
17) 64% of smartphone owners are using their mobile devices to shop online . (Source: eDigitalResearch ) The smartphone is ripe with impulse shopping revenue. If you sell goods online, target specific campaigns to smartphone users. Tweet This Stat!
18) YouTube users watch more than 3B hours of video per month. (Source: YouTube ) Video is a major part of the online experience, but it's different from traditional broadcast productions. When integrating online video into your inbound marketing strategy be sure to consider not only production value, but length. Most successful online videos are less than two minutes long. Tweet This Stat!
19) About 1 in 3 bloggers are moms. (Source: Nielsen ) When looking for blogging expertise, look no further than the mommy bloggers. Everyone has influence and expertise you can learn from and leverage. Tweet This Stat!
20) 73% of smartphone owners access social networks through apps at least once per day. (Source: Lightspeed Research ) Social is mobile. Make sure that content you're sharing on social networks -- like your blog articles and landing pages -- are optimized for mobile devices. Tweet This Stat!
21) 91% of online adults use social media regularly. (Source: Experian ) Social media is fully integrated into communication culture. Make sure it is an integrated part of your marketing strategy, too. Tweet This Stat!
Which of these internet marketing statistics was the most surprising to you?