Episode #36 - April 17th, 2009
(Show Length: 20 minutes, 2 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: We are @ karenrubin @ mvolpe
- Remember to subscribe in iTunes !
- This was a BIG week for HubSpot.tv! We received a Webby Honoree and the "famous" @ karenrubin was in Mashable !
- @ ronarden : Question for Hubspot.tv: With all the social networking tools and services out there, how do you pick what to focus on?
- @ pwhiteatANPI : What are some tips to get executives to support & participate in blogging , tweeting, LinkedIn groups, and to "get" that it isn't playing and it's work?
Doing It Right!
Visits HubSpot at Our #bizinboston Tweetup
- HubSpot learns that Twitter co-founder Biz Stone is in Boston
- HubSpot plans a Tweetup at our office before HubSpot TV with hashtag #bizinboston to try to get @biz to come and meet some folks
- B.Good (@ B_Good_ on Twitter) joins the fun and kindly offers free sliders for the event!
- There was lots of conversation through the hashtag about whether companies should hold tweetups.
Are "Tweetups" meant to be non-commercial events? Can a company have a Tweetup? Sponsor a tweetup? Use Twitter?
Britain to Use SEO to Fight Terrorism
- Report: Britain to Use Google Against Terrorists
- British counter terrorism agencies will train pro-western Islamic websites to flood the Internet with "approved" content to dominate search rankings and push out the anti-western content.
: Try to create more content than your competition.
Domino's: It's Snot Your Father's Pizza
- Don't answer the door: It's Domino's Snot Supreme!
- Two Domino's employees post a "prank" video of them doing some horrible stuff to food.
- Domino's posts a video response on YouTube
- Video Prank at Domino’s Taints Brand
- "What we missed was the perpetual mushroom effect of viral sensations" Domino's spokesman, Tim McIntyre
- "We realized that when many of the comments and questions in Twitter were, 'What is Domino's doing about it' " Mr. McIntyre said. "Well, we were doing and saying things, but they weren't being covered in Twitter."
- Original video gets removed for "trademark" reasons
- Would this have happened if there were cameras live casting every Domino's kitchen? Or would consumers at least come back quicker? Read this: How a Kitchen Window Builds Trust Through Transparency
: Don't hire idiots. Try to embrace transparency to build trust and avoid embarrassment.
Seth Godin Misses the Point of SEO
- How to make money with SEO
says... "(1) Try to own a big word like "plumber" or (2) Try to own an easy
work "like "Meerman" and then make that famous."
- He is missing the real value! Do... (3) Create lots of content and leverage the long tail.
Create lots of interesting content, optimize it, promote it, and
you'll get a lot of SEO traffic, even if Seth does not think so.
Marketing Tip of the Week
Don't obsess too much about negative feedback. Gather it, consider it,
respond appropriately, and then get back to making customers and
prospects happy. Dwelling on the past is a mistake.
- HubSpot's Success Customer Forum
- Jean Wunk from All Things Jeep : "I just discovered that my blog is basically feeding the blog of other sites. Everyone these days seems to be putting up blogs, monetizing them with Google AdSense, and then just using RSS feeds to "stream" other blogs onto their pages....Any way to prevent this, is it a good thing since the links they have on their pages are often to my site. Should I add "Written by xxx at www.xxx.com" at the bottom of each blog post, and then just let it go, etc. "
Originally published Apr 19, 2009 2:23:00 PM, updated July 04 2013