Episode #41 - May 22, 2009
(Episode Length: 19 minutes, 37 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter - @ karenrubin @ kylejames
- Remember to subscribe in iTunes : http :// itunes . hubspot . tv
- http :// InboundMarketing .com : New community where you can post questions, learn about inbound marketing, meet others, find and post jobs, or sign up Inbound Marketing University !
Doing it Right
- Ford Motor Company
- Why Ford is Winning on the Social Web
- Scott Monty has ~20,000 followers on Twitter, GMblogs has ~5,100 and Chrysler has just over 800.
- Fiesta Movement Campaign
- Ford Bets the Fiesta on Social Networking
- "But the healthiest of the Big Three wants to generate buzz for the car among " millennials ," those born between 1979 and 1996. Some 70 million millennials will be driving next year, and Ford is targeting the Fiesta squarely at them"
- "Ford recently handed 100 Fiestas to 100 people selected from 4,000 applicants. These "agents" (that's what Ford calls them) get to use the cars for six months in exchange for completing monthly "missions" with different themes. They'll share their experiences through YouTube , Flickr , Facebook and Twitter accounts Ford created for the campaign."
- Marketing Takeaway : Be willing to let go of your message and lose control.
SMBs have Problems Effectively Marketing Themselves but Aren't Using Social Media?
- SMB Marketing Is About Telling Your Story
- "Small businesses are not as successful as they would like to be in effectively marketing themselves to grow their business beyond their current size."
- "The same study also found that only 12 percent of small businesses are engaging in social media. Restated: Only 12 percent of small businesses are taking advantage of a targeted, absolutely free way to market their business online . Sounds silly, right?"
- Marketing Takeaway : If you are part of the 88% of small business not using social media, what are you waiting for!
Use the data you have carefully
- Report: Mint Considers Selling Anonymized Data from Its Users
- Mint, a personal finance aggregator, is "considering selling anonymized data about the service's users"
- Marketing Takeaway : Be careful where you put your data and read the Terms and Conditions you sign when you sign up.
- Marketing Takeaway 2 : If you are planning on using your customers data, make sure you are honest and open and transparent about it.
Creative Commons for Facebook
- The Official Unofficial Creative Commons Facebook Application
- " Facebook users can now place a Creative Commons license badge on their Facebook profile pages. The badge explains the type of license users have chosen for their photos, videos, and/or status updates."
- Marketing Takeaway : Photos are another version of content, add yours to Facebook , install the Creative Commons Facebook app and let people use them.
Chart Shows Dramatic Decline in Online Ad Growth
- Chart Shows Dramatic Decline in Online Ad Growth
- Marketing Takeaway : If you are paying for traffic, start thinking about optimizing you site for organic search.
- Marketing Takeaway : If ad revenue is your business model, you might want to think about some alternative business models.
Online Video and Mobile Video Watching is UP!
- The YouTube Generation: Online Video Usage Up 53 Percent in ‘09
- 53% growth in the amount of time people spend watching online video
- 52% growth in the number of people watching video on their phones
- Marketing Takeaway : Be engaging, multi media is in, easy to do and growing.
Marketing Tip of the Week - Find unique ways to make and distribute content and then lose control!
- From Matt: "A partner is recommending that we creating a number of branded minisites (content would be very similar, if not an exact copy of our main website) using keyword rich urls . There are no links from the minisite pointing back to the main site. What are the pros & cons?"
- Duplicate Content
Missed last week's episode? HubSpot TV - This Brand is My Brand with Chris Brogan (May 15th, 2009)
Webinar : Rethinking Marketing
Want to learn more about how you can use inbound marketing to grow your business?
Download the free webinar to learn how to turn your website into an internet marketing machine.
Originally published May 24, 2009 4:32:00 PM, updated July 04 2013