Episode #44 - June 12th, 2009
(Episode Length: 32 minutes, 36 second)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ mvolpe @ karenrubin
- Remember to subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv
- Inboundmarketing.com : New site where you can post questions, learn about inbound marketing, meet others, find and post jobs or sign up for Inbound Marketing University ! (Starts next Monday.)
- Ken Lauher of Contextweb asks, "How do you measure the effectiveness of public speaking engagements? How do you measure an ROI?"
Doing It Right
Vacant Homes in Twitterville
- HubSpot released our second report on Twitter - "State of the Twittersphere - June 2009"
- News release: World's Largest Twitter Study by HubSpot Reports Over Half of Accounts Don't Tweet
- Blog article: Announcing the June 2009 State of the Twittersphere Report
- Blog article:
Many Twitter "accounts" are actually not that active:
- 55% of accounts are not following anyone
- 55% of users have never tweeted
- 53% of users have no followers
- The "buzz" has driven a lot of tire kickers to Twitter, more than passionate users.
- Lots of coverage in GigaOm, SF Chronicle, VentureBeat, NECN, Seattle Post Intelligencer,
- Marketing Takeaway : Publish interesting data in order to get PR.
Facebook Goes In-Vain
- Facebook (finally!) allows simple "vanity" URLs for profiles and pages (not groups)
- Names based on your page or personal name, no "generic" words allowed
- No cheating - business page must be from before May 31 and have 1,000+ fans
- Announcement: Coming Soon: Facebook Usernames
- FAQ: Facebook Usernames Coming Soon for Pages
- Marketing Takeaway : Tonight at midnight, get your Facebook vanity URL!
Battle of the Search Engine Marketing
- Nobody Recognizes The Chrome Icon, So Google Wants You To Make A Video About It
- Google & Firefox have gone inbound with user generated content and creating a buzz: Fox Fever
- Bing is going outbound with the marketing blitz
- Marketing Takeaway : Today's big brands are being built with inbound marketing.
Authenticity vs. Authority
- Authenticity vs. Authority
- Seth Godin: "If it's a word game, then authority wins, because authority is about the perception of the consumer. If they believe you an authority, you are. In the long run, of course, authenticity will trump it, because your authority fades without it. The converse is not true. And yes, it's a word game."
- Marketing Takeaway : Authenticity with gain you authority, which is what you need to worry about as a marketer.
Special Guest: Jeff Taylor, Monster.com & Eons.com
- Founder, CEO and Chief Monster of Monster.com
, a social network for baby boomers
- DJ on the side!
- A quick question; if I embed a video from youtube on our website; do the website video views get counted towards the youtube page total views?
- (To ask a question that you'd like to appear in Forum Fodder, visit www.inboundmarketing.com/forum )
Marketing Tip of the Week : Get your darn Facebook URL tonight at midnight!
Webinar: Advanced Business Blogging
Learn how to build your business blog into an inbound marketing machine.
Download the free webinar to learn how to create a thriving blog.