Episode #48 - July 10th, 2009
(Episode Length: 19 minutes, 53 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ repcor , @ karenrubin with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Also, new section "Let's Ask Twitter" -- watch out for it later in the show!
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv
Watch out for our new music video on Tuesday, brought to you by @
! (Starring HubSpotters @
Doing It Right : WeSeed
- Game created by Peak6 , a financial services company
- The game is a fun, free, risk-free way for real people to learn about the stock market; gain knowledge, experience, and confidence; and empower themselves to take control of their financial lives.
Public Relations is Social Relations
- Spinning the Web: P.R. in Silicon Valley
- Good PR pros need to develop huge networks of people on Twitter and major blogs to be effective.
- Marketing Takeaway: Don't limit your PR outreach to traditional media, your best influencers in social media could be more effective!
New Section: Let's Ask Twitter
- Where do you go to find influencers online?
CP&B Put's It All Out There
- Crispin Porter + Bogusky, an advertising design factory
Giant digital fishing net... Collects Twitter, News and Blogs!
Marketing Takeaway: Don't be afraid to try new things or break new ground when generating buzz about your business.
- Personal details of new UK spy chief on Facebook
David Milliband, (incoming head of Britain's international spy agency) wears a speedo...apparently.
Marketing Takeaway: Manage your social media profiles and what content others are publishing about you.
Google Announces Their Own Operating System
Introducing the Google Chrome OS
- Specifically targeted at Netbooks
Direct competition to Microsoft?
Marketing Takeaway 1: Don't worry about it with regards to your marketing. If it becomes a big enough deal, we'll let you know.
Marketing Takeaway 2: If you can offer free tools that people will use on an every day basis, it helps insert your brand into their everyday lives.
United Breaks Guitars
- Dave Carroll: United Breaks Guitars (YouTube Video)
1.5 Million Views
- Angry United Airlines customer gets attention with YouTube complaint
- From Dan Ronken : " Initially closing off comments? " What is your opinion on closing off comments until a decent amount of readership is built? If I see a blog with large number of posts and no comments on any of them, it feels less engaging to me.
- Responses: "Closing off comments is like shutting the door in someone's face or walking into a room and only talking about yourself and then leaving."
- "No comment is like Communism."
- "To me, a blog w/o a commenting option is a newspaper, and we all know how those are doing"
Godin - "I think comments are terrific, and they are the key attraction
for some blogs and some bloggers. Not for me, though. First, I feel
compelled to clarify or to answer every objection or to point out every
flaw in reasoning. Second, it takes way too much of my time to even
think about them, never mind curate them. And finally, and most
important for you, it permanently changes the way I write. Instead of
writing for everyone, I find myself writing in anticipation of the
commenters.... So, given a choice between a blog with comments or no
blog at all, I think I'd have to choose the latter."
Marketing Tip of the Week : Empower your audience to create content for good! Even better if your best influencers create content too!
Happy Birthday HubSpot TV CoProducer, @
and VP Sales Mark Roberge!
Missed last week's episode on July 2, 2009? View it here: Star Spangled Banner Ads and Blogging
Webinar: How to Use Online Video for Inbound Marketing
How do you get started with YouTube, video podcasting, live streaming, or viral videos.
Download the free webinar to learn how to use online video to grow your business with inbound marketing.