Episode #54 - August 21st, 2009
(Episode Length: 25 minutes, 37 seconds)
Sorry for the delay in getting this up! We lost the audio of the original version and had to sync the "live" audio in short segments. Quite a tedious process; we did the best we can. Hope you enjoy!
- How to interact on Twitter: @ mvolpe , @ karenrubin with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv
- Chris Brogan on HSTV next week!
Doing it Right
- NY Parking Ticket - A service that helps you get out of parking tickets!
- Strategy: give away tips for do it yourself people, charge for their service to do it for you
- Tactics: use blogging, SEO, Twitter, Facebook to spread the word about your free valuable content
- Results: Traffic grew 7x in the last 5 months, with equally strong lead growth as well
- Link with Video
Google Caffeine...a new soft drink?
Google Caffeine: Google’s New Search Engine Index
- "Google has just unveiled a "secret project" of "next-generation architecture for Google's web search". This new architecture appears to include crawling, indexing, and ranking changes."
- Developer Preview
- Marketing Takeaway: Focus on creating remarkable content, not gaming the search engines.
Adwords Positioning and Repositioning
Conversion Rates Don't Vary Much with Ad Position
- "...for pages where 11 ads are shown the conversion rate varies by less than 5% across positions. In other words, an ad that had a 1.0% conversion rate in the best position, would have about a 0.95% conversion rate in the worst position, on average."
- After Moving Ads to the Left, Google Clicks Climb 10 Percent
- "...Google recently moved its search ads column to the left in a bid to increase their visibility and click rate...one search analytics company has published early analysis suggesting clicks may have risen by 10.3 percent"
- Marketing Takeaway: Think about bidding less on your adwords to save money.
State of Friendfeed
- State Of FriendFeed: 14 Things You Probably Don't Know
- "The top sources for items being pulled into FriendFeed (in order): Twitter, Google Reader, delicious, Facebook, bookmarklet, Flickr, Tumblr, YouTube, digg, and StumbleUpon."
- Marketing Takeaway: Make life easier for you by following influencers on FriendFeed and for your followers by aggregating your content on FriendFeed.
Blogging Brings Website Visitors
- http://bloStudy Shows Small Businesses That Blog Get 55% More Website Visitors
- Based on the "data from 1,531 HubSpot customers."
"Companies that blog have far better marketing results. Specifically, the average company that blogs has:
- 55% more visitors
- 97% more inbound links
- 434% more indexed pages"
- Marketing Takeaway: Creating more content attracts more people to your website.
Is ESPN Doing it Right? or Wrong?
- WTF ESPN
- Dear espn you're doing it wrong
- Making people only talk about ESPN is a quick one-way ticket to "who cares?"
- Mike's Marketing Takeaway: Companies need to think through their strategy of getting value for their employees time, while allowing for individual freedom.
- Karen's Marketing Takeaway: Building relationships is the most important aspect of social media. You should do it as a company and also allow your employees to do it on behalf of the company.
- Question on www.inboundmarketing.com/forum
- ddahl: What are your thoughts on website services that offer increasing your Twitter followers to the thousands ?
Marketing Tip of the Week: Don't get stuck in the weeds, stick to your overall inbound strategy.
Marketing in a Downturn Strategy Kit
Learn how to get the most out of a tight marketing budget.
Download the free kit for tips and tricks to generate more leads efficiently and inexpensively.