Episode #56 - September 4th, 2009
(Episode Length: 23 minutes, 40 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ karenrubin & @ mvolpe with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
Doing It Right
- 25% conversion rate for the past year - on a joke!
Social Media Accounts for 20% of all Ad Impressions
Networking Sites Account for More than 20 Percent of All U.S. Online
Display Ad Impressions, According to comScore Ad Metrix
- ComScore reports that "social networking sites accounted for more than 20 percent of all display ads viewed online, with MySpace and Facebook combining to deliver more than 80 percent of ads among sites in the social networking category"
- "AT&T ranked as the top display advertiser on social networking sites in June with more than 2 billion ad impressions, which accounted for 30 percent of the company's total number of display ads delivered during the month"
- Marketing Takeaway : Organic social network activity drives more engagement than advertising.
The $11,000 Tweet
- Have You Ever Seen an $11,000.00 Tweet?
- Amanda Palmer tweeted "i hereby call THE LOSERS OF FRIDAY NIGHT ON THEIR COMPUTERS to ORDER, motherf*cker."
- "This was not planned, it was spontaneous. It happened because Amanda created something and invited her fans to help her mold that creation and share in the ownership of the finished product."
- Marketing Takeaway : Find your niche audience and engage with them!
How Companies are Benefiting from Web 2.0
How companies are benefiting from Web 2.0: McKinsey Global Survey Results
- In terms of finding value in communicating with customers
- 51% of people found value in using blogs
- 48% found value in using video and
- 48% found value in suing social networking
- Big factor driving success: integrating web 2.0 with other technologies and processes - 75% of people who saw a benefit of web 2.0 said this was important.
- Over half the companies said they were planning on increasing their investment in web 2.0 technologies.
- Marketing Takeaway : Start integrating web 2.0 into your business today to get ahead of your competition.
Snail Mail Comes to Social Networks
- Facebook debuts direct response ad units
- "Facebook has released a new set of direct response ad units, updating its engagement ad platform that lets brands offer coupons and free samples to the social network's users."
- Chick-fil-A is running a unit with "a call to action to "Get a free chicken biscuit now." When a user clicks on the link, a form solicits his or her shipping address."
- Marketing Takeaway : If you advertise, try to use direct response ads whenever possible.
NFL Throws the Flag on Social Media
- NFL bans tweeting before, during, after games
- "The NFL said that it will let players, coaches, and other team personnel engage in social networking during the season. However, they will be prohibited from using Twitter and from updating profiles on Facebook and other social-networking sites during games...In addition, they will not be allowed to tweet or update social-networking profiles 90 minutes before a game and until post-game interviews are completed. The rules even extend to people "representing" a player or coach on their personal accounts."
- Marketing Takeaway : Unless you are a media company. Then you have bigger problems.
- Alternative Marketing Takeaway: Create as much content as you can, unless you're a media company...
- Inbound Link Discrepancy
- "How long does it take Google to recognize new inbound links? Check out this report from website grader...it says that I have as many as 423 inbound links. Another section only shows that I have 259 links. Why this discrepancy? Google has been showing I only have 259 IBL's for a while now, even though I know I have many more. Do they crawl Inbound Links in spurts?"
Marketing Tip of the Week: Try to find a small or niche audience that no one else is talking to, become one of them, and do something really cool for them.Closing
Video: How to Use Social Media to Attract More Customers
Learn how to use social media to attract more customers.
Download the free video and learn how to generate more business using social media.