Episode #57 - September 11th, 2009
(Episode Length: 27 minutes, 44 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ karenrubin , @ mvolpe and @ labusque with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
Guest: Leah Busque of RUNmyErrand
- Founder of RUNmyErrand, sponsor of the HubSpot TV 1 Year Anniversary
- Twitter: @ RUNmyERRAND
- Discount!: HUBSPOTTV (It's good for the rest of September!)
- Free errand giftcard giveaway!
Doing It Right
- Blogs almost every day of the week
- Quadrupled his traffic almost two times over since December
- Was just invited to be the resident Feng Shui Expert on E! Entertainments new "That Morning Show"
US Ad Spending Declined 15%
- CHART OF THE DAY: Breaking Down The Advertising Apocalypse
- Data from Nielsen Report, looking at ad spending in the first half of 2009 as compared to the first half of 2008
- Spending went up in TV ads by 1.5%
- Spending only went down %1 online
- Hardest hit industries in order were - B2B Magazines, Local Magazines, National Newspaper, National Magazine, Outdoor, Local Newspapers
- Marketing Takeaway : More marketers are starting to think like publishers and socializers, and less like advertisers. You should too!
Twitter Updates Terms of Service
- Twitter's New Terms of Service
- Leaves door open for advertising
- Some tweaks to Spam rules
- Marketing Takeaway : Don't be a Twitter spammer, just be interesting!
@Facebook Replies to @Twitter
- BREAKING: Facebook Introduces @Mentions in Status Updates
- Facebook will be rolling out a feature basically like Twitter, where you can reference or mention other people using the "@" reply
- Marketing Takeaway : When Facebook rolls this out, try making your status updates more conversational.
Your Changing Customer
- CEOs: your changing customer
- George Colony - CEO of Forrester shares some research on customers today
- "The 2009 customer is unrecognizable from the 1999 customer."
- "Americans spend 8 hours per week with old media (TV, newspapers) and 8 hours per week with new media (Internet)."
- "25% of households have digital video recorders - devices like Tivo that let TV watchers record shows and fast forward over ads."
- "Half of all Americans research products online before buying."
- Marketing Takeaway : Make sure to stay on top of trends in how your customers are changing, and adapt to producing the type and format of content that they want to consume.
Honda's Car Crushing Week
- Honda Accord Crosstour Damaged In Facebook Hit and Run
- Marketing Takeaway : Consider getting more customers involved earlier in your product development process, especially if your product is not easily changed.
- Forum Question on www.InboundMarketing.com
- Aaron: "Ive started blogging. Ive started tweeting. I have my facebook and linkedin profiles pointing in the right direction. Ive submitted my site to dmoz and a handful of industry directories. I have been contributing to several industry forums and communities, in addition to several seo forums (hubspot's included). I asked (pretty please) several other webmasters if they would be willing to link to me, whereas I write a nice article about them and return the favor from my blog. I'm just curious if I am being as efficient as I could with my time and energy to make the most of things. Should I be going about this in a different way?"
Marketing Tip of The Week : Think about making product development more conversational, let your customers feel like they own the launch as much as you do.
Free Inbound Marketing University Online Training Program
Download HubSpot's Inbound Marketing University online training program
11 free webinar classes and notesheets
. The program drills into each component of inbound marketing and prepares you for the Inbound Marketing certification exam.