Episode #58 - September 18th, 2009
(Episode Length: 22 minutes, 01 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ karenrubin and @ kylejames with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
- Karen, Mike and Repcor are all at the Marketing Sherpa B2B Marketing Summit in SF -- We are livestreaming the event! Watch the event with us live!
The Economy: four company buyouts
- Omniture by Adobe for $1.8 billion
- Mint by Inuit (Quicken/TurboTax) for $170 million
- Brightcove by Google - $500-$700 million
- reCapture by Google
Doing it Right
- Just BLEEP it!
- Serena Software - campaign to get more people to build business mashups
- 1.2m views & $40m in pipeline potential
- Video published March 28th 2009
Creativity is King!
- How Do You Market Successfully Today? Same As Always: Creatively
- The tools needed to achieve marketing success today have changed a little.
- The shotgun approach of blasting everyone is a thing of the past
- Content creation IS the marketing strategy. The more value we can produce and the more channels we can fit into, the more likely we are to be found.
- The web allows you to spend your dollars more wisely and analyze what you are spending on
- Marketing Takeaway: Keep working to create and promote great content. Practice makes perfect!
SugarRays Twitter Hunt
- Ray Allen hid pairs of his new shoes around Boston and Hartford and then send out tweetpics so people could find them
- If u are standing in this spot u are real hot : ( http://twitpic.com/hqdj9 )
- Marketing Takeaway: Think of interesting ways to use new tools to promote your content.
Do businesses need a Social Media Administrator?
- Is it time for companies to hire a Social Media Administrator?
- "The role would be someone who manages and provides consistency with an organization's social media presence."
- Social Media Administrator
- "The job of the Social Media Adminstrator would to not only update our various SM Outlets but also monitor trends and discussions."
- Isn't this what a PR person is suppose to do? - going back to marketing still requires creativity here folks
- Marketing Takeaway: As Marketers you need to be thinking about marketing creatively and using all the new available tools.
Brands and Products on Twitter
- Twenty Percent Of Tweets Mention Brands, Products
- "Researchers at Penn State's College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST) scanned through over 500,000 tweets for the study;"
- "One-out-of-every five updates were either requests (to friends, followers or the companies directly) for product info, or responses to these requests."
- Marketing Takeaway: Make sure you are listening to Twitter (and all social media) for mentions of your brands.
Original Networking Oragnaizations Turn to Social Media
- Original social networkers turn to Web to survive
- "traditional social and service groups like Lions Club, Rotary and Kiwanis have seen their numbers stagnate or decline"
- "In the past year, though, many clubs have taken an if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them approach to social media and are finding that online tools promote their causes and draw new members."
- Marketing Takeaway: Social media isn't going anywhere, it's time to take the "if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them" approach for your business.
- Stacyzara on InboundMarketing.com Forums: Is this spammy?
- "In our industry there is a new technology that has not only debatable, but possibly dangerous, drawbacks...I subscribed to google alerts to find the blogs that mention this technology, and I've been leaving comments on these blogs warning consumers and readers that these products can be unsafe, and indeed some of them have been recalled...Are we hurting our website in any way by posting these comments?"
Marketing Tip of the Week : Keep being creative in your marketing!
Marketing in a Downturn Strategy Kit
Learn how to get the most out of a tight marketing budget.
Download the free kit for tips and tricks to generate more leads efficiently and inexpensively.