(Episode Length: 24 minutes, 43 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ karenrubin , @ mvolpe and @ PaulDunay with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv
Guest: Paul Dunay
Book Giveaway! Go to
- Global Managing Director of Services and Social Marketing for Avaya and author of Facebook Marketing for Dummies
Buzz Marketing for Technology
- Question from @ KirstenPetra - When I fan someone, I don't feel like I am actually their friend and that I don't actually get anything in return. How can businesses use take advantage of fan pages to make me feel like it actually matters?
- Question from @mergenchuluun - What is your top takeaway from writing Facebook Marketing for Dummies?
Use Social Media to spot issues before they hit the Contact Center!
Facebook Cans the Spam King
- Facebook Continues to Can Spam
- Facebook has been awarded $711 million in damages from Sanford Wallace, the notorious "Spam King". (Previously, MySpace has been awarded $234 million.)
- Marketing Takeaway : Don't use spam; and keep spammers away from your customers.
Why Geocities Failed?
- We don't want to built web sites, easy page makers or not. Making new pages, figuring out where or how to add them to the navigation - not cool.
- Audience. Once, a long time ago, family and friends we proudly told about our site came to it. Then the incentive was gone and they didn't come anymore.
- In the end, all we wanted to do is: Share some links to stuff we found cool (the "forwards"), Show our photos (the "kids & cats"), Show our videos (without figuring out codecs or embedding), Post status updates and comments (make "statements")
- Geocities Closed by @ruudhein
- Marketing Takeaway : Make things simple for your customers.
Are we measuring blog influence correctly?
- The Trouble with Blog Influence Statistics
- "I'm not a big fan of statistics when it comes to blog readership. Not because I'm not interested, but because I'm not convinced the average person understands exactly what a blog is."
- "A recent study by Mediamark Research & Intelligence (pdf) found that 10.1 percent of U.S. adults reported to having read a blog in the last 30 days. And, if you think that number's small, only 3.4 percent of adults actually wrote a blog post in the same period."
- If so few people are reading blogs, are they really that influential? Are we measuring the right stats? What about http://Blog.Grader.com?
- Marketing Takeaway : For your blog, measure links, comments, readers and especially leads and customers.
- On InboundMarketing.com From Kim Kolb : A customer of mine is a restaurant/bar. They use social media extensively and have a twitter account and Facebook fan page. They believe this is enough and they do not need a website. Do you agree/disagree?
Marketing Tip of the Week : Start a Facebook Business Page to grow your business.
Video: How to Use Social Media for Lead Generation
Learn how to use social media for lead generation.
Download the free video to leverage Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites to generate leads and customers.
Originally published Nov 5, 2009 7:06:00 PM, updated October 20 2016
Episode #167 - September 23rd, 2011 This week on the Marketing Update, Karen and Mike sit down and talk with their guest Anne Holland, the publisher of WhichTestWon.com. Anne shares her expertise and opinion on this week’s most talked about...