NOTE FROM THE PRODUCERS: Have you ever caught the live show? We broadcast in real-time every Friday at www.hubspot.tv. Click here at 4:00pm ET today to watch the show live.
Episode #66 - November 13, 2009
(Episode Length: 23 minutes, 33 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ mvolpe @ repcor and @ MikeMcDerment with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv
- Yesterday we loaned the stage to Pokin' Holes of Dart Boston
Special Guest Mike McDerment:
CEO and Co-Founder
- So, What's FreshBooks?
- What was your background before FreshBooks?
- You basically reintented yourselves at one point. Why?
- You guys guys have a somewhat contrarian view of SEO?
- You have a few people in the company with really weird titles. For instance, you have a "Director of Better Business" and a "Chief Handshaker." Why?
- You guys have a free product. How important is a free product to building community and driving inbound marketing?
- IDC Says Worldwide Internet Ad Spending Down 1%
- $14.6 billion in total internet advertising spending
- Had been down 5.6% in Q2, so the decline is slowing
IDC says worldwide Internet ad spending down 1% in third quarter
- Marketing Takeaway : Think less like an advertiser, and more like a publisher.
- LinkedIn and Twitter Hookup
- Two way integration - LinkedIn to Twitter, OR Twitter to LinkedIn
- From Twitter, allows you send everything, OR to specify which Tweets, using hashtag #in - very cool feature, big win over Facebook
LinkedIn works with Twitter, and vice versa
- Marketing Takeaway : Link in your Twitter and LinkedIn to make more of LinkedIn.
- Searchers Getting Smarter at Searching
- Average words per search has increased form about 2.85 to 3.05 in the past 2 years according to Comscore
- And according to Yahoo search phrases increased from and average of from 1.2 words in 1998 to 3.3 words in 2006
- Search Engines Getting Smarter…or is it the Searcher?
- Marketing Takeaway : Create more content to leverage the growing long tail of search.
- P.J. Naughton: Do PPC ads create inbound links for SEO purposes?
Marketing Tip of the Week : Think about creating a free product to build a community and lower your marketing costs.
Closing - Surprise Guest! (Oink Oink)