NOTE FROM THE PRODUCERS: Have you ever caught the live show? We broadcast in real-time every Friday at www.hubspot.tv .
Today's special guest is Edward Boches , the chief creative officer at Mullen.
Episode #69 - December 4, 2009
(Episode Length: 18 minutes, 27 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ mvolpe and @ karenrubin with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
- Vote for the New Years Co-Host - http://www.karen-rubin.com/hubspottv-cohost-poll/
Twitter Declared the Top Word of 2009
Top Word of 2009: Twitter
- "The Global Language Monitor has announced that Twitter is the Top Word of 2009 in its annual global survey of the English language."
- "In a year dominated by world-shaking political events, a pandemic, the after effects of a financial tsunami and the death of a revered pop icon, the word Twitter stands above all the other words. Twitter represents a new form of social interaction, where all communication is reduced to 140 characters," said Paul JJ Payack, President of The Global Language Monitor.'
- Marketing Takeaway - Twitter continues to grow and take over the world.
Is Facebook Losing the Young Folk?
- Is Facebook Losing its Coveted Demographic?
- "comScore is reporting that time spent on Facebook by 18-24 year olds is waning. In July 2009, minutes spent on Facebook dropped by 3%. In August, it plummeted 13%. By September, minutes spent on Facebook crumbled by 16%."
- "The trend that isn't discussed in these doomsday articles is the transformation in how we forge and maintain contacts in the social web. There's something to be said about quality over quantity...In many ways, we're building and joining communities around our online persona."
- "The true dilution is not in relationships, but in how we choose to invest in and also manage them. We will eventually need to embrace a "multiple personality order" approach as the lines blur between who we are personally and professionally."
- Marketing Takeaway - Facebook is no longer just students. Marketers need to bring it into their overall marketing mix.
10 Examples of B2B Facebook Fan Pages
- 10 Examples of B2B Facebook Fan Pages
- "People become fans of companies and brands on Facebook for two different reasons. The first is that they want to keep up with the company and learn more about them. The second is they want to associate themselves with the company."
- Cisco's Page does a great job of adding links of other Facebook Pages and other places to find them on the web.
- Hubspot's Page does a good job of providing content makes people comment. These comments show up in people's profiles and with the revised Facebook News Feed, updates with more comments are more likely to show in fans' information streams.
- Salesforce.com's Page displays photos and videos, including user-provided ones, from a recent conference.
- Forrester's Page informs fans about upcoming seminars and other events, in addition to aggregating feeds from their analysts' blogs.
- Check out this ebook for tips & tricks - Free eBook: How to Use Facebook for Business
- Marketing Takeaway - Make your business page engaging and exciting.
DARPA Studies the Social Web with Weather Balloons
Nationwide balloon-hunt contest tests online networking
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- "The DARPA Network Challenge calls on groups to pinpoint the locations of 10 red weather balloons scattered around the country - with a $40,000 prize going to the first team to find them all."
- "...designed to test the the way social networking, crowdsourcing or lesser-known Web-based techniques can help accomplish a large-scale, time-critical task...in part to give the military new ideas on ways to operate in a range of situations, from natural disasters to combat."
What did you write on your first blog if you did not yet had a product to sell? - Inbound.org
- Focus on the customer problems. What if it was a completely new product concept?
Marketing Tip of the Week
- Grade your business page on http://facebook.grader.com/ , then make changes to make it more engaging.
Video: How to Use Social Media for Lead Generation
Learn how to use social media for lead generation.
Download the free video to leverage Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites to generate leads and customers.
Originally published Dec 11, 2009 2:38:00 PM, updated July 04 2013