Episode #75 - January 15, 2010
(Episode Length: 26 minutes, 24 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: @ karenrubin , @ mvolpe and @ stevegarfield with www.HubSpot.tv in your tweet.
- Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/
- Brian Halligan speaking at the Franklin Club in Boston on Feb 1 at 6pm. Cost is $65 (Use coupon code hubspottv and save $10)
- Special episode food sponsor! Thank you to @TheLansdowne . (And, at The Lansdowne Pub on Wednesday Jan 20, catch the " Wild Side " 80's hair metal tribute band featuring HubSpotter Andrew Quinn!
Welcome Special Guest Steve Garfield!
- Video blogger, lecturer at 3 Universities, Rocketboom correspondent
- New Author of Get Seen: Online Video Secrets to Building Your Business
- How do you feel about the recent Boston arrests people video taping police?
- Any thoughts on Fidelity's Green Line Video contest?
Doin' It Right
- HubSpotter, Andrew Quinn: "Here's more proof just how well this stuff works. I got a lead through my HubSpot site ( www.wildsiderockband.com ) from the Boston Beer Company looking for a band to play their Sam Adams 25 th Anniversary Party. Within 5 minutes of getting the lead I booked the gig.
- HubSpot's Favorite 80s Hair Metal Guitarist
No More Tradeshows...for HubSpot
- Why HubSpot Won't Exhibit at Trade Shows and Events Anymore
- "As of January 2010, The HubSpot marketing team is eliminating exhibitor booths and sponsor tables from all its lead generation initiatives."
- Marketing Takeaway: You should do the math, but likely you can use your marketing efforts more effectively than tradeshows.
Google va. China - SHOWDOWN!
A new approach to China
- "In mid-December, we detected a highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property from Google."
- "We have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists."
- "These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered-combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the web-have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China."
- Marketing Takeaway: Sometimes you need to walk away from business to preserve your brand.
Video can be more than Viral
- Video Is More Than Viral
- "Projections from eMarketer indicate online viewership will increase to 188 million by 2013 (representing 85 percent of Internet users), up from 135 million in 2008 (or just 70 percent)."
- "But growth is the prevailing signal, and Benjamin Wayne, president and chief executive officer of video platform provider Fliqz, says online video is taking a larger role in the marketing mix...In the last few months, video has emerged more frequently alongside text and images, becoming more seamlessly integrated into the homepage and throughout the site."
- "As with any marketing medium, a video strategy can't live in isolation."
- "Create videos viewers want to see, not what your company wants them to see---and definitely avoid branded commercials."
- Marketing Takeaway: There are many different kinds of video, one or more of them is right for your business
Ben Robbins -
Converting followers/fans/connections across multiple social networks (Inbound.org)
- So now you have a LinkedIn group with a few hundred members, ten thousand Twitter followers and a Facebook fan page with exactly 4 fans. What ways have you found to effectively "convert" people from one to multiple networks (not just the ones mentioned here), and what benefits have you realized in doing so? Have you found tools that make serving these multiple audiences easier?
Marketing Tip of the Week: Read Get Seen and work to get video incorporated in your inbound marketing efforts.
Webinar: How to Use Online Video for Inbound Marketing
How do you get started with YouTube, video podcasting, live streaming, or viral videos.
Download the free webinar to learn how to use online video to grow your business with inbound marketing.
Originally published Jan 22, 2010 2:55:00 PM, updated July 04 2013