HubSpot TV is LIVE every Friday at 4:00pm EST. Watch the show in real-time at www.hubspot.tv and chat with us via Twitter .
Episode #77 - January 29, 2010
(Episode Length: 25 minutes, 11 seconds)
How to interact on Twitter: @
in your tweet.
Subscribe in iTunes:
- Brian Halligan is speaking at the Franklin Club in Boston on Feb 1st at 6pm -- Cost $65 (Use coupon code hubspottv and save $10)
Google Search Goes Social
- Search is getting more social
- "With Social Search, when we search for baby sleep patterns , swaddling or best cribs , not only do we get the usual websites with expert opinions, we also find relevant pages from our friends and contacts...I could probably find other reviews, but my friend's blog is more relevant because I know and trust the author."
- "We're leaving a "beta" label on social results because we know there's a lot more we can do."
- Marketing Takeaway: Build your social media presence today to be successful in SEO tomorrow.
NYTimes Going To Require Payment in 2011
Advertise on NYTimes.com The Times to Charge for Frequent Access to Its Web Site
- "Starting in January 2011, a visitor to NYTimes.com will be allowed to view a certain number of articles free each month; to read more, the reader must pay a flat fee for unlimited access. Subscribers to the print newspaper, even those who subscribe only to the Sunday paper, will receive full access to the site without any additional charge."
- "Executives of The New York Times Company said they wanted to create a system that would have little effect on the millions of occasional visitors to the site, while trying to cash in on the loyalty of more devoted readers"
- Marketing Takeaway: Don't be afraid to experiment with your business.
Calling All Content Creators!
- Calling All Content Creators: Marketers Spending More on Content in 2010
- Survey by Junta24 - Content Marketing Spending Report
- "The survey results reveal that, for the third year in a row, the majority of marketing professionals (6 in 10) will allocate more of their marketing budgets to content marketing initiatives."
- "According to the report, smaller companies are allocating 40% of their marketing budgets to content marketing, which is more than twice the amount of larger companies, who are allocating 18%."
- Marketing Takeaway: Content creation is the way to inbound marketing glory.
How Transparent is Transparent Enough?
- In Defense of Ghostblogging: Social Media Ethical Dilemmas
- When Transparency is Not Needed in Social Media
- Tweeting Under False Circumstances: Social Media Ethical Dilemmas
- Marketing Takeaway: Make sure you think about what level of transparency is right for your company.
- Age Discrimination from KMM - "Yesterday Brian presented the "DARC" acronym in the context of what he looks for in selecting members of an internet marketing team. The "D" stood for "Digital Native". The definition of a Digital Native was given as a person whose first word was "Google", not "goo-goo". How can this criterion not be seen as age discrimination? How do I, not being a Digital Native, overcome this obstacle to joining an internet marketing team?"
- Kate Hutchinson: "A real "Digital Native" I would say, is someone who is actively learning everything possible about the digital world and using it on a daily basis."
Webinar: Advanced Business Blogging
Learn how to build your business blog into an inbound marketing machine.
Download the free webinar to learn how to create a thriving blog.