Episode #82 - March 5, 2010
(Episode Length: 26 minutes, 27 seconds)
- How to interact on Twitter: Include hashtag #HubSpotTV in your tweet! On the show today is Mike Volpe (@ mvolpe ), Karen Rubin (@ karenrubin ) and Brad Blake (@ BradMBlake )
- As always, all the old episodes are in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv/ . If you like the show, please leave a review!
- Wild Web Women have nominated Mike for "Social Media Man Crush" finalist. Please vote !
- We're doing HubSpot TV in Las Vegas on March 22, so let us know if you would attend that event live!
Special Guest: Brad Blake, Director of New Media at Mass Governor Office
- Director of New Media at MA Governors Office
- MassDOT Developers Challenge: http://www.massdotdevelopersconference09.com/applications
- From Guido Stein : "A lot of people are worried about the negative implications of social media -- like people saying bad things about them or getting robbed because of the site www.PleaseRobMe.com, and things like that. But during those conversations, people rarely balance it with all the positive things that these social tools allow, like better communication and meeting and connecting with new people."
- From Kat Sheehan : "How can a company (fashion designer) maximize launch with inbound marketing and social media? Can't find one good example!"
80% of Journalists Say Bloggers are Important
- Journalists’ Use of Social Media Is Surging, According to 2nd Annual Middleberg/SNCR Survey of Media in the Wired World
- Study by the Society for New Communications Research (SNCR)
- Nearly 70% of journalists surveyed are using social networking sites, a 28% increase since the results of the 2008 study
- 66% are reading blogs, 48% are viewing videos online, 25% are listening to podcasts
- Marketing Takeaway : Inbound marketing can get you PR even if you don't "do PR."
Department of Defense LOVES New Media
- US Department of Defense releases official policy on social media
- US Department of Defense Ahead of Most Companies with a New Social Media Policy
- "Late Friday, the U.S. Department of Defense released its official policy covering new media and social media. With some three million employees, the DoD is one of the largest organizations in the world, so this is big news."
- "The policy, Directive-Type Memorandum 09-026, which is effective immediately, states that DoD employees (including U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines) can use and participate in new media and social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, blogs and forums."
- Marketing Takeaway : If THEY can do it, anyone can do it!
ExactTarget buys CoTweet
- ExactTarget Acquires CoTweet
- ExactTarget (email marketing software) buys CoTweet (a Twitter management software)
- In the future, there might be some integration between email and Twitter for ExactTarget. Marketers need more tools to help tie everything together -- blogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, SEO, landing pages, leads, etc.
- Marketing Takeaway : Marketers should look for software that combines multiple tools in one place to make inbound marketing easier.
Small Businesses' Use of Social Media Increasing
- Small Businesses' Use of Social Media Doubles in Past Year
Social Media Adoption By U.S. Small Businesses Doubles Since 2009
- 75% created a company page on Facebook or LinkedIn
- 69% post status updates on Facebook or LinkedIn
- 39% have a blog to talk about expertise
- Marketing Takeaway : Get started with inbound marketing now to get a head start over your competition.
Marketing Tip of the Week:
Don't let the government outdo you in your new marketing efforts.
Webinar: How to Use Online Video for Inbound Marketing
How do you get started with YouTube, video podcasting, live streaming, or viral videos.
Download the free webinar to learn how to use online video to grow your business with inbound marketing.
Originally published Mar 12, 2010 2:30:00 PM, updated July 04 2013
The social media world is all abuzz with how politicians are using social media and Twitter to engage with voters in advance of the U.S. 2012 elections. This week, Brian Whalley and Sam Coren guest hosted the Marketing Update on HubSpot TV,...
The social media world is all abuzz with recent developments from both Google and Facebook. This week on the Marketing Update , Mike and Karen dove into the following examples of marketers experimenting with new features and uses of social ...