Each of us recognizes that the Internet and the social Web is growing quickly. However, it can be difficult to put this rapid growth into perspective. Sometimes you have to take a set back and look at some of the numbers to truly get an understanding of how the social Web has expanded.
The folks over at Pingdom compiled together some great statistics about the Internet's growth. In case you don't have time to look through their entire list, I have selected 11 stats that demonstrate the current state of the social Web.
11 Social Web Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
1. In 2010, 107 trillion emails were sent on the Internet. ( Source )
2. At the current rate 36 billion photos will be uploaded to Facebook each year. ( Source )
3. Each day 2 billion videos are watched on YouTube. ( Source )
4. Each month 30 billion pieces of content (links, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook. ( Source )
5. In 2010, users sent 25 billion tweets . ( Source )
6. Worldwide there are 1.97 billion Internet users . ( Source )
7. At the end of 2010, there were 88.8 million – .COM domain names registered. ( Source )
8. As of December 2010, there were 255 million websites . ( Source )
9. Worldwide, there are 2.9 billion email accounts . ( Source )
10. The average Internet user watched 186 online videos per month (USA). ( Source )
11. Every minute 35 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube. ( Source )
Which of these statistics was the most surprising to you?
Originally published Jan 13, 2011 8:00:00 PM, updated June 10 2021