Why Managing Revenue Might Just Be an Exercise in Frustration [Infographic]

Emma Brudner
Emma Brudner

Updated:

Published:

Manage_metrics_cropWe all know the adage that what can be measured can be managed. Except when it can't. 

According to research from Vantage Point Performance, revenue actually can't be managed -- despite sales managers' best efforts. The reason is simple: revenue is the outcome of many sales activity input metrics, such as number of calls made or hours spent coaching. And if you're not regulating the inputs, the output becomes a lot more difficult to get a handle on.

Out of 306 sales metrics studied at companies, only 17% were deemed to be directly manageable. The remaining 83% fell into the categories of sales objectives (customer win rates, new customer acquisition, etc.) and business results (revenue, market share, etc.).

Take some time to evaluate your sales metrics against these three categories. Are you losing sleep over goals over which you have little control? Or do you find these goals easier to manage than this research would suggest?

Manage_metrics 

soi-report

Topics: Sales Metrics

Related Articles

We're committed to your privacy. HubSpot uses the information you provide to us to contact you about our relevant content, products, and services. You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time. For more information, check out our Privacy Policy.

Outline your sales strategy in a simple, coherent plan.

Powerful and easy-to-use sales software that drives productivity, enables customer connection, and supports growing sales orgs

START FREE OR GET A DEMO