Five must-read pieces for business founders and builders.
June 24, 2022-- Happy Friday and welcome back to Friday Finds! From a new alternative to BNPL to building a budget airline, here are The Hustle's picks for inspiring and insightful entrepreneurial reads.
- Fintech Kasheesh came out of stealth mode this week to offer consumers an alternative to buy now, pay later. Instead of spreading a single purchase across multiple months, Kasheesh allows buyers to spread the cost over multiple payment methods -- like credit cards, debit cards and gift cards. The no-fee service can help cut down impulse buys that consumers couldn't pay back later.
- When Towanna Burrous discovered that business coaching schools focused very little on coaching across diverse lines, she created her own program to fill the gap. Her company, CoachDiversity Institute, now teaches leaders from around the world how to listen to and help with challenges and obstacles faced by historically marginalized communities.
- Budget airline Avelo took its first flight in April 2021, and has since grown to a fleet of 10 737s that makes 225 short trips a week. Unlike other low cost carriers, Avelo doesn't charge change or cancellation fees, and is above the industry average when it comes to cancelled and delayed flights.
- One potential solution to the nationwide labor shortage -- retirees who are looking to re-enter the workforce. Age diversity has been a largely ignored issue, but corporations seeking to fill their open roles should make combatting ageism a priority, advises AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine with a 2B+ user base, making it an ideal marketing platform. To make sure your company's videos get the traction it deserves, check out 14 YouTube description templates that have helped our videos go viral.
June 17, 2022-- Happy Friday and welcome back to Friday Finds! From fundraising down rounds to minimizing wasted work time, here are The Hustle's picks for inspiring and insightful entrepreneurial reads.
- As the tech market falls, some startups have started raising down rounds -- where new capital is raised at a lower valuation. One founder shares his lessons from navigating this tricky process, including how to reset your share price and manage expectations.
- It's easy to get off track during work in the internet age. To make sure your team is productive, follow tips like reducing unnecessary meetings, focusing on one task at a time (instead of multitasking), and setting up clear organizational systems.
- For years, Anthony and Ronald Alcazar tried to place their low-carb tortillas, Mr. Tortilla, onto grocery store shelves, but could not compete with established brands. The brothers decided to pivot during the pandemic, selling their products on Amazon instead -- and their business has grown 3,000 percent since.
- Advancements in lithium batteries are key to the rise of electric vehicles, but these batteries use expensive components like cobalt, and lithium itself is flammable. A Boston startup is making water-based batteries that eschew lithium and cobalt for cheaper materials like manganese and metal oxide, which could make EVs much more affordable in the future.
- Word of mouth can be one of the most effective methods of advertising, and referred customers tend to be more loyal to the brand. To make your customers your biggest advocates, read how to build a strong customer referral program (ideas & examples).
June 10, 2022-- Happy Friday and welcome back to Friday Finds! From a mobile vaccination startup to portable EV chargers, here are The Hustle's picks for inspiring and insightful entrepreneurial reads.
- Several female VCs from prominent firms have left to start their own funds this year, including Katie Hun of Andreessen Horowitz and Sarah Guo of Greylock. The women are using their new firms to fill in the voids that they noticed while working at their old companies.
- Vaxi Taxi, a mobile vaccination startup described as the "Uber Eats of vaccines," is making it easier for rural residents to receive all types of vaccines. Customers order the vaccines online, and a pharmacist can drive out to their location to administer the shots onsite.
- The market for electric vehicles is expanding rapidly, but one obstacle remains -- the lack of charging stations. Joshua Aviv is tackling that problem by making portable chargers that drivers can order through an app, making it possible to re-up your batteries from anywhere.
- It's easy to get stuck while brainstorming for new ideas. To put your brain in a creative state, try tips like engaging your long term memory and turning on background music.
- Podcasting is heating up: ~885,000 new podcasts were launched worldwide in 2020. If you're thinking of ways to start your own, read how to host a podcast on WordPress.
June 3, 2022 -- Happy Friday and welcome to Friday Finds! From Rent the Runway's new growth plans to the impact of student loan forgiveness on entrepreneurs, here are The Hustle's picks for inspiring and insightful entrepreneurial reads.
- Despite a turbulent May in the stock markets, 34 startups leaped into unicorn status. Altogether, this cohort is valued at $4.6 trillion and comes from 15 countries.
- Getting started in entrepreneurship can be daunting. To make the first step easier, considering finding a job where you can hone your business chops. Choosing work environments that encourage experimentation and firms with small but high performing teams are key.
- Rent the Runway made history last year as the first company to go public with all-female CEO, COO, and CFO, but its business has been struggling since the start of the pandemic. See how CEO Jennifer Hyman is planning to pivot the business to put it on a path towards profitability.
- A new survey found a third of small business owners say student loans have hindered their ability to grow their ventures. That means potential student loan forgiveness plans could provide a noticeable boost to small businesses, as entrepreneurs redirect the extra cash into their ventures.
- Fake Google reviews can be a hit to your business's reputation. To learn how you can identify the fake posts and get them taken down, check out how to spot (and remove) fake Google reviews.