This post originally appeared on HubSpot's Sales Blog. To read more content like this, subscribe to Sales.
The sales comp plan is one of the most underutilized tools in a CEO’s tool chest."
– Mark Roberge, Chief Revenue Officer of HubSpot's Inbound Sales Division [Click to Tweet]
When Mark Roberge joined HubSpot in 2007, he had never run a sales team and wasn't familiar with the conventional techniques sales leaders used to drive revenue. So he stuck with what he knew.
Drawing on his MIT engineering background, he created a system of sales hiring and development that relied heavily on metrics and quantitative analysis instead of gut feel.
Mark served as HubSpot's SVP of Worldwide Sales and Services until 2013, during which he increased revenue over 6,000% and expanded the team from one to 450 employees. These results placed HubSpot at #33 on the 2011 INC 500 Fastest Growing Companies list. Mark was ranked #19 in Forbes' Top 30 Social Sellers in the World. He was also awarded the 2010 Salesperson of the Year at the MIT Sales Conference.
Mark is the author of the new book The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million. He joins HubSpot CMO Mike Volpe on this episode of "The Growth Show" podcast to share his sales secrets, including:
- Hiring and training strategies that result in success every single time.
- The importance of holding sales reps accountable for churn.
- Tips for making sure salespeople get the same quality and quantity of leads every month.
- How to use technology to improve the sales process.
- Lessons and behind the scenes stories from building HubSpot’s sales and marketing engine.
If you'd like to see more recaps of the latest episodes of "The Growth Show," click here.