Apparently genius is overated. And apparently, success is not just about innate ability -- it’s a combination of several key factors likechance, luck, opportunity, hard work, and culture.
Bestselling author of The Tipping Point and Blink, Malcolm Gladwell, dives deep into this concept of success, exploring reasons why some succeed and others don’t.
But beyond the summary, his book is riddled with quotes that inspire. For me, they're increasing the anticipation of hearing him speak this fall. As I wait, I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes from his book here.
1. “Who we are cannot be separated from where we're from.”
2. “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”
3. “If you work hard enough, assert yourself, and use your mind and imagination, you can shape the world to your desires.”
4. “Achievement is talent plus preparation.”
5. “Hard work is a prison sentence only if it does not have meaning. Once it does, it becomes the kind of thing that makes you grab your wife around the waist and dance a jig.”
6. “Success is not a random act. It arises out of a predictable and powerful set of circumstances and opportunities.”
7. “Success is a function of persistence and doggedness and the willingness to work hard for 22 minutes to make sense of something that most people would give up on after 30 seconds.”
8. “Those three things -- autonomy, complexity, and a connection between effort and reward -- are, most people will agree, the three qualities that work has to have if it is to be satisfying.”
9. “It's not how much money we make that ultimately makes us happy between nine and five. It's whether or not our work fulfills us. Being a teacher is meaningful."
10. “We prematurely write off people as failures. We are too much in awe of those who succeed and far too dismissive of those who fail.”
11. “The values of the world we inhabit and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound effect on who we are.”
I'm counting down the days to hear what inspiring quotes Gladwell will share at INBOUND. Maybe I'll see you there?