68 Questions to Ask Your Customers to Establish & Build Rapport
1. Is it true what they say about living in [city/state]? (For example, "Is it true what they say about living in L.A.? Are the freeways essentially parking lots?")
2. Since you live in [city/state], do you go to [local attraction] all the time?
3. I have such good memories of [city/state] -- I visited when I was X years old and absolutely loved [destination/feature]. What do you think about [destination/feature]?
4. If I had the opportunity to pass through [city/state], what would be your top recommendations?
5. Is [city/state] a good location for [customer's industry/company/profession]?
6. I've heard [nearby restaurant/city/state] has amazing [food item]. Does it deserve the hype?
7. What's your commute like? (Do you drive, take public transit, carpool, etc.)
8. What brought you to [city/state]?
9. What's something most people don't realize about [city/state]?
10. Are there a lot of companies in [customer's industry] in [city/state], or are you guys fairly unique?
11. Is [city/state] where your company is located, or do you work remotely?
12. When's the best time of year to visit [city/state]?
Job and Career Questions
13. My [niece/son/grandchild] wants to become a [profession]. Do you have any advice I should pass on?
14. I saw you used to work in [different field/profession/industry]. How was the transition?
15. Do you go to [well-known industry event]? Why/why not?
16. You tweeted about going to [conference] -- have you been before? I'm debating whether or not to go, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
17. My friend used to work at [current or former company]. Do you know [name]? What was it like working there?
18. As a rep for [company], I talk to a lot of people in [customer's profession], but you're the first I've met who's ever majored in [unexpected major]! How'd that happen?
19. I read on your LinkedIn that you spoke at [event] -- really impressive. Do you have any future speaking events lined up?
20. I noticed you have your X certification. What was the process of getting that like?
21. On your LinkedIn profile, you listed [unusual skill] under your Skills. How often does that come in handy?
22. You're fluent in [second language], right? Wow! Do you travel to [country] fairly often? Do you use [language] in your work? Is there a third language in your future?
23. Many of my clients in [customer's role] tell me [X detail about job]. Has that held true in your experience?
24. I'd love to learn more about [customer's role]. Are there any resources you'd recommend?
25. My [niece/son/grandchild] wants to become a [profession]. Are there any subjects you'd suggest majoring in?
26. What job would you want if you weren't a [customer's profession]?
27. Have you always wanted to work in [customer's field]?
School and Interest Questions
28. You're an alum of [college]! My friend graduated from [college] in [year]. They said it was really X … (Or, "I've never met anyone who went to [college] before! What was it like? Would you recommend applying?")
29. I noticed on LinkedIn that you help out with [organization]. How'd you get started with that?
30. Saw on Twitter that you're a massive [sport] fan. Are you looking forward to [related event]?
31. In your LinkedIn summary, you mention loving [activity]. How long have you been doing that?
32. While I was preparing for our conversation, I noticed you follow [influencer] on LinkedIn. What did you think of their ideas on [topic]? (Alternatively, "Did you read their book?")
33. I saw you follow [influencer] on Twitter -- I do, too. Did you see what they wrote the other day about [topic]?
34. I saw on LinkedIn you attended [college]. My [niece/son/grandchild/family friend] was thinking of applying. What was your experience like?
35. Do many people from [college] end up in [customer's current location]?
36. Would you go back to [college] again for a graduate degree?
37. Are there any leaders in your space you'd recommend following?
38. What was the best class you ever took at [college]?
Content- and Activity-Based Questions
39. You recently tweeted a link to [podcast/radio show]. Have you listened to [specific episode/similar show]? (This question also works for books, movies, and TV shows.)
40. I loved what you [blogged/shared] the other day about [topic]. Have you read [related article]?
41. Since you're interested in [topic]; I was wondering if you'd read [book on topic]?
42. I saw that you tweeted about [author/book name] -- I'm looking for a new read, should I try [author/book name]?
43. I'm putting together a list of great blogs for [customer's industry]. Do you have any recommendations?
44. I'm putting together a list of must-read blogs for any [customer's profession]. Which ones do you like?
45. I'm buying a book for someone's [milestone year] birthday. Do you remember reading anything around that time that really changed your life?
46. I saw on [LinkedIn/Twitter/Facebook] you're interested in [topic]. Do you have any related documentary recommendations?
47. I saw on [LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook] you're interested in [topic]. How did you [learn about, come across] that [topic, field]?
48. Do you subscribe to any newsletters about [topic, industry, product category]?
49. I read the [article, blog post, interview, white paper, ebook] you shared on [topic] on [LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc.] What did you like about it?
50. Are you reading any interesting books these days?
51. Congrats on [recent company announcement]! How long was that in the works?
52. I saw [company] won [award] recently -- way to go. Did you submit an entry, or were you unaware your team was up for consideration? Who were you competing with?
53. Your company just [opened up/moved to] a new office, right? What's the [neighborhood/city] like?
54. I saw on Twitter [you/your company] just started using [non-competitor product]. We were thinking of trying that one out -- what's been your experience so far?
55. Your company's retreat photo came up on Instagram. Did you like [destination]? What was the highlight of the trip?
56. I was browsing your company's site when I came across the blog. I loved [your/your coworker's/your CEO's] post about [topic]; what do you think about [related topic]?
57. I came across [company's] social media accounts while I was preparing for our call. It seems like a [fun, interesting, fast-paced] place to work. What do you think?
58. I learned about [company's] unique tradition of [doing X] on [your company blog, social media]. How did that tradition begin?
59. I learned about [company's] unique tradition of [doing X] on [your company blog, social media]. Is that your favorite tradition?
60. Your company seems to host [online events, customer events, recruiting events, philanthropic events, industry events] fairly often. Are you involved in those?
61. I saw that your office is based in [city neighborhood]. Do you like to go out to [restaurant] for lunch?
62. I read on [LinkedIn/Twitter/your blog/etc.] that you think [opinion]. I feel the same way -- but I'm always curious to learn how other people formed their opinions. How'd you come to this one?
63. You seem to have a pretty busy schedule. Do you have any productivity tips?
64. It seems like you're fairly busy -- do you use apps to stay organized? I've been looking for a good one, so recommendations would be helpful.
65. You seem like someone with good Netflix picks. What have you enjoyed recently?
66. I saw the picture you shared of your [pet] on social media. Have you ever thought about making [him/her] an Instagram account?
67. Are you planning any work trips or vacations this [season]?
68. I saw the picture you shared of your [pet] on social media. Have you ever thought about making [him/her] an Instagram account?
By showing interest in your customers and getting them to open up, you can deepen even the most transactional relationships. And once you've created that trust? You'll see a dramatic change in your ability to solve their problems and turn them into loyal customers.
Originally published Jun 5, 2019 4:11:37 PM, updated June 05 2019