Google's Matt Cutts posted a great article on his blog recently with simple and practical tips for small businesses.
The video is included below.
The following are some of the simple tips made in the video. Great advice for small business marketers. The points in the video are simple, but it's interesting because it's straight, unfiltered advice from Google.
6 Simple SEO Tips For Small Business
1. What do people search for? Think about what people are going to type to find your site.
2. Title tags matter. It's what the user first sees on Google results.
3. Don't worry that much about the keywords meta tag .
4. Use the meta description tag . It is often shown to web users when they search on Google.
5. Start a blog! Participate in the conversation. Doesn't have to be complex or fancy. Things that are interesting to you are probably interesting to your users/customers.
Examples: What made you decide to start a small business? What were your weirdest customer experiences?
6. Find conversations using social media . Try digg and StumbleUpon.
7. You do not have to pay Google to get traffic from Google. Google crawls your website for free. Just make sure it can find your website.
8. Advertising on Google doesn't influence rankings. Buying advertising on Google does not influence search results.
If something else caught you attention in the video that I haven't mentioned, please leave a comment. The above are just some of the hilights