I was lucky enough to finally meet and hear a lot of my favorite social media evangelists at the MarketingProfs Digital Marketing Mixer this week in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was great to be around not only social media big-shots like Chris Brogan, Scott Monty, and Rohit Bhargava, but also a lot of really smart marketers who were trying to embrace and integrate social media into their business efforts.
The common themes of the day were definitely
(1) Content Is King , and
(2) Authentic Community Engagement Is a Necessity
Thursday's keynote speaker was Gary Vaynerchuk , who continued to drill home these essential points.
If you're not familiar with Gary, or GaryVee as he's known on Twitter , he is a self-made "Internet celebrity" known for his pioneering approach to personal and business brand-building, and his unscripted video blog Wine Library TV that now draws tens of thousands of viewers daily. He is incredibly passionate about wine (and social media and branding), but most of all his beloved New York Jets.
Gary is a wonderfully engaging and entertaining speaker, as you will even be able to realize with the recordings below. Here are a few of the nuggets from Gary's presentation.
- Marketing is about the 2 Cs: Content and Community. Don't forget about that second C - Community - and think of your audience as human beings, not nameless, faceless potential for ROI.
Social media are just tools to help you engage with your community. They don't make the difference, you make the difference. Use the tools to interact with your community. Word of mouth is incredible for building your brand, and social media amplifies your WOM reach.
- Big corporations "don't get it" because they don't care about their company. But be glad the mainstream "doesn't get it" because this is your opportunity to get ahead of the game. Build your equity, build your brand, before they get here.
- If your company, product, etc. is broken, don't spend time controlling your message, spend your time fixing your message.
- Social media takes time. There's no way around putting in the time, because you can't fake community engagement. Be authentic, be transparent, and buid your brand equity so you can crush your competition.
Gary Vaynerchuk Keynote Presentation - Audio
Gary Vaynerchuk Keynote Presentation - Video
I apologize in advance for the incredibly bumpy recording. Personally, I prefer listening to the audio version (above) because of this. That said, feel free to view/share if you can stomach all the ups and downs.
What do you think? As Gary asks, who thinks he's full of crap, who wants to really get it, who's confused?