Sales emails are a great way to capture customer attention and drive revenue. Of course, this comes with a caveat, since recipients have to actually open these emails for campaigns to work. Here, the old adage holds true — you only get one chance to make a first impression.
And the first thing prospective customers see? Your subject line. To help you create attention-grabbing subject lines that boost open rates and get potential purchasers interested, we’ve collected 20 statistics you need to know.
Ready to go from email trash bins to open sesame? Let’s get started.
Sales Email Open Statistics
- There are over 4 billion email users worldwide, and this number is predicted to reach 4.5 billion by 2025. (Statista, 2023)
- More than 300 billion emails are sent and received each day across the globe. (Statista, 2023)
- The average open rate of emails across all industries is 22.61%. (Mailchimp, 2022)
- When it comes to welcome emails, meanwhile, open rates are 68.6%. (GetResponse, 2022)
- The average click-through rate of all emails is just 2.91%. (Mailchimp, 2022)
- 64% of recipients decide to open or delete emails based on subject lines. (Finances Online, 2023)
- 33% of users choose to open emails because of catchy subject lines. (Finances Online, 2023)
- Emails with images offer a nearly 10% boost to open rates — 24.25% compared to 15.55%. (GetResponse, 2022)
- Emails sent on Mondays have the highest open rates at 22%, compared to Sundays which see an open rate of 20%. (Campaign Monitor, 2021)
- A/B testing of email subject lines and content can drive up to 28% higher ROI. (Litmus, 2022)
- The most effective subject lines are personalized, promotional, and engaging. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
- 43% of salespeople say that email is the most effective sales channel. (HubSpot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- When it comes to remote selling, 21% point to email as the most effective option. (HubSpot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- 31% of sales professionals say that the biggest change between 2021 and 2022 is the growing need to establish trust and rapport with prospects. (HubSpot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- 60% of B2B sales include 2–4 decision-makers, meaning the right subject line is critical to create interest. (HubSpot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- 45% of sales professionals say sales/marketing alignment is becoming more important, and 24% say it’s one of their top priorities. (Hubspot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- 65% of B2C companies now use email marketing software to help manage their content (Content Marketing Institute, 2023)
- But just 23% of sales teams say they’re “very aligned” with marketing, and 21% say they’re not aligned at all. (Hubspot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
- Email engagement is used by 81% of marketers to track content performance. (Content Marketing Institute, 2023)
- 71% of B2C sales professionals say that establishing rapport during the sales process is the most effective strategy for selling to new customers — and it all starts with email subject lines. (HubSpot’s 2023 Sales Trends Report)
Now that you understand the importance of your subject lines, it’s time to build out the body of your email and turn initial customer interest into curiosity and conversion. Start with some of our most effective sales prospecting email templates to boost open rates.