It's the first day of June. It's Friday. Summer has begun. Grab your colleagues and convince them that it's time to go have a drink. Here's your guide on how to kill it at your agency's cocktail hour this week:
Dress to Impress
Men in Black 3 is out. We're not sure how good it is, but the more important thing is that it's bringing tailored black suits and sleek shades back in style. So dress fly [MenStylePower].
After you've donned the suit and shades, you'll be ready to go, but your iPhone's battery will be running low and your outfit will need a shiny accessory. Good thing Dolce & Gabbana has extended its brand to watches with the creativity and sexy brand standards [Guardian] we've always admired.
Arrive on Time
Being "on time" is relative, but being lost is never advised. Don't go looking for the hot spot on Google Places - because Google Places is no more [Search Engine Land]. As of yesterday, you'll need to use the Google+ Local pages, which is yet one more search-oriented reason you need to be on Google+.
Start an Intelligent Conversation
Nobody wants to hear you bitch about your workload because their load is probably just as bad. So here are some safe marketing news stories that will help you gain friends and impress the boss:
- As Instagram continues to grow, more brands are incentivizing the network's users to source social content [AdWeek]. The debate continues on whether this is ethical.
- Pew Research Center just released 2012 statistics on Twitter [Pew Internet], including the fact that 15% of online adults use the social network and 8% do so on a "typical day."
- The FTC met on Wednesday to solicit input as they prepare to update the Dot Com Disclosures on social and mobile [PC Advisor]. FTC Commissioner Maureen Ohlhausen said, "What a difference a decade makes." Indeed.
- Coca Cola has launched the "Open Happiness" Tumblog [Digiday] to appeal to the 54+ million users of Tumblr, half of which are under 25. The intent is to share "random bursts of happiness" visually, but the ability to stay in front of a key demo probably helped seal the deal.
Silence is the sign of a poor cocktail atmosphere. Here are some one-liners to keep in your back pocket to keep things industry-relevant, but interesting:
- Has your brand ever had to deal with a sex scandal? Jaguar did. [Ad Age]
- Do you stick your arse out far enough? NG360 can help you perfect it. [Mobile Marketer]
And if all else fails, talk about your super sweet paper folding skills. [Noupe]
This Week's Choice Cocktail
We recently hired a bartender as a junior associate (Greg). As a result, we're going to start giving you interesting drink suggestions. You're welcome.
- One shot of Vodka
- One shot of Rum
- One shot of TripleSec
- One shot of Gin
- One to two shots of Curacao
- Sweet & Sour Mix and Sprite to fill
- Add one open RedBull® to the top of the drink on the ice
Please drink responsibly.
Alright, you're ready for a productive, yet fun cocktail party with the co-workers. Let us know how it goes. Tweet us your Instagram shots. Tell us the best jokes you hear. Contribute your choice cocktail and maybe we'll feature it (only if Greg knows how to make it, though). Most of all, make it a great time.