Instagram is an undeniably powerful marketing tool, but with over 25 million businesses on the platform today, it's critical you take the time to create well-designed and thoughtful Instagram posts to stand out.
You'll need to apply a strategic design plan to your business's Instagram to attract a loyal following and find success on the app, long-term.
However, creating a clean and cohesive Instagram feed takes design skills you might feel you lack. Plus, Instagram's algorithm favors brands that post at least once a day — that time commitment could be adding to your stress.
If that's the case, you're in luck — there are ways you can create pre-made Instagram post templates, so you've got a stash ready-to-go. Plus, by ensuring you use the same templates for different posts, you'll have an easier time creating a cohesive and aesthetically-pleasing feed.
How to Create Posts for Instagram
- Use Instagram Post Templates
- Choose Your Post Format
- Choose an Image
- Add Design Elements
- Save the Photo
- Upload to Instagram
1. Use Instagram Post Templates
Let's face it — you don't always have the time, resources, or personnel to design noteworthy Instagram posts. That's why we recommend using Instagram Post Templates for Business which you can build from and customize.
Here are some options to create and save Instagram post templates, so you can have stunning posts on-hand whenever you're ready to publish.
Featured Resource: 16 Free Instagram Post Templates for Business
Need templates to get started? Download HubSpot's free Instagram post templates for both traditional posts and stories, which you can tailor as you see fit when it comes to your brand. You can alter any and all parts of the template – the image, the copy, and the design elements – to ensure you're publishing posts to grow and engage your follower base.
2. Choose Your Post Format
While traditional Instagram posts to your permanent timeline are more long-lasting and allow for comments and likes, you shouldn't underestimate the power of Instagram Stories, which can be used for more immediate needs and occasions.
In fact, 500 million accounts use the Instagram Stories feature daily. So, when you're creating your post, ask yourself if it warrants publication as a story or as a traditional post.
3. Choose an Image
Maybe you've decided your post doesn't need a photograph and that text overlay on a solid-color background will work for you. If that's the case, hop over to the next step.
If you've decided you do want to use a photograph – particularly if you want one as the background for text overlay – you've got a few options.
- Take a photo on your phone or with a camera. No need to be a professional photographer for your Instagram posts – you can learn how to take great photos with your phone here.
- Use a photo from your company's files. This works well if you need to utilize team photos or product photography, which may be better quality.
- Use a stock photo that pertains to your business (just make sure you don't use the same one multiple times!).
Whichever photo you do decide to use, simply replace it as the background for the template you're using in the HubSpot Instagram Post Template collection and resize the photo so it's to your liking (and is good quality).
16 Free Instagram Post Templates
Fill out the form to get the templates.
4. Add Design Elements
Instagram post templates come with design placeholders for text with special fonts and other elements. Your next step is to alter, add, or remove any elements that you see fit.
This includes updating the copy so it reflects the information you want followers to know and/or the action you want them to take.
5. Save the Photo
When you've done all you can in the template builder of your choosing, save your photo to be posted on Instagram. All you'll have to do here is click "File" > "Download" > "PNG Image" or "JPEG Image." Then, just name the photo file, email or message it to yourself, and save it on your phone so you can post it.
6. Upload to Instagram
Once you have your photo saved, it's time to upload it to share with your followers. For a traditional post, open Instagram, click the "+" button in the bottom center, choose your photo, add any filter, description, or hashtags, and click "Share." (Take a look at How to Post on Instagram: a Step-by-Step Guide if you're still unsure.)
For an Instagram Story post, click on the camera icon in the top left of your screen, access your camera roll in the bottom left of the screen, choose your image, minimize the date that shows up to the point where it can't be seen, and add any further design elements – like a GIF or additional copy – to the image. From there, click "Your Story" on the bottom left.
Other Ways to Design Instagram Posts
Here are some other options to create and save Instagram post templates, so you can have stunning posts on-hand whenever you're ready to publish.
1. On the left side, you'll see an array of template options — some cost money, while others are free. Choose one.
2. Once you choose a template, click on the text box to write something. There are colors at the top if you want to alternate your text color — you can also change font, size, and spacing.
3. When you're finished with your text, click the background of your image (outside the text box). This will allow you to filter your background, adjust the brightness and contrast of the image, and more.
4. When you're happy with your template, open up the Canva app on your phone. Click on your Instagram post design.
5. Click "Share" in the top right.
6. Now, you can post straight to Instagram by clicking "Import with Instagram". If you aren't ready to post it, you can also "Save Image" and it will appear in your camera roll for later.
7. If you are immediately posting to Instagram, choose whether you want to upload to your "Story" or "Feed".
8. Edit the Instagram post like you would any other post — add tags, a caption, location, etc. When you're ready, click "Share" in the top right.
Remember, your template is automatically saved to your Canva account. You can access it in the future, on both desktop and app versions of Canva, and edit it with new text to post the same design again.
Alternatively, you might consider creating a few posts now, and then saving them to your camera roll to post them in the future.
Besides Canva, there are a few other design editors that offer free pre-made Instagram templates. In particular, here are three tools you might consider:
If you're interested in creating a template for quote posts, it's easy to do — in fact, we've already curated a list of nine apps to help you make quotes for Instagram.
For our purposes, we'll try just one — ReciteThis.
To create a quote template for Instagram, go to ReciteThis, then follow these three easy steps:
1. Enter your quote in the text box.
2. Below, click the left or right arrows to peruse templates and choose one you like. Once you've chosen a template and written your text, click the "Create" button in the text box.
3. Click "Download Image" to post to Instagram's desktop version, or email it to yourself to post on your phone.
3. Creative Market
If you're willing to shell out the cash, you might consider buying one of Creative Market's Instagram Template bundles.
For instance, you could purchase this 1053 Quotes social media pack.
Alternatively, you can purchase a bundle with Instagram Story content, like this Animated Stories bundle.
Finally, you might consider purchasing a bundle to help you create a cohesive theme for your Instagram feed, like this The Grid template.
And that's it! You're all set to create and save pre-made Instagram templates, so you can focus on attracting a loyal following without tediously designing a post from scratch every day.
Check out our Instagram Marketing: The Ultimate Guide for more Instagram tips and tricks.
Editor's note: This post was originally published in October, 2018 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.
Originally published Sep 28, 2020 2:00:00 PM, updated January 26 2021