This post originally appeared on the Sales section of Inbound Hub. To read more content like this, subscribe to Sales.
There's a lot of talk around the changing sales and online marketing landscape. But this evolution is driven by one important factor: the customer.
The way people buy products and services online has dramatically changed over the years -- and these days, the customer has more power than ever. To understand more about what influences today's customer, the folks at BigCommerce analyzed a range of ecommerce sites to give us a broader understanding of what people value when shopping online.
Download our free guide to marketing psychology here to learn more about what influences purchase decisions.
While these findings may be specific to online ecommerce shops, we believe there's some valuables lessons here for all business types. Take a look, and keep reading below for some tweetable takeaways.
Why People Buy: 8 Important Takeaways
1) The top factor driving purchasing decision (56%) is product quality. [Tweet This Stat]
2) The most important store features driving purchasing decision (80%) is competitive pricing. [Tweet This Stat]
3) 62% of shoppers research big-ticket items in-store before buying online. [Tweet This Stat]
4) 9 out of 10 say they watch videos about the tech products they may buy. [Tweet This Stat]
5) 54% of shoppers are smartphone owners, and 76% of smartphone owners use them while shopping. [Tweet This Stat]
6) 81% say posts from their friends directly influenced their purchasing decision. [Tweet This Stat]
7) 30% are most likely to respond to brand offers when they have been reposted by a friend. [Tweet This Stat]
8) 44% of people are most likely to engage with branded content that contains pictures; video content is close behind at 40%. [Tweet This Stat]