We're happy to announce that we're releasing version two of our State of the Twittersphere report (you can check out last year's version here ). In it we've found some surprising things. Namely, that many of the accounts on Twitter aren't actually using it all that much .
- 79.79% failed to provide a homepage URL
- 75.86% of users have not entered a bio in their profile
- 68.68% have not specified a location
- 55.50% are not following anyone
- 54.88% have never tweeted
- 52.71% have no followers
We also found that since Twitter has implemented a limit to the number of users an account can follow (a maximum of 2000 when the user has less than 2000 followers) there is a large number of users who are following exactly 2000 users, possibly indicating that many active users are intentionally trying to gain as many followers as possible to increase their reach.
Download the State of the Twittersphere Report to read the full report and if you want to discuss it on Twitter please use the hashtag: #SOTwitter so that we can follow along with the discussion and answer any questions that may come up.
There's also a discusion about the report taking place in the InboundMarketing.com forum .
Discussion on this topic:
- GigaOm: Ironic But True - Many on Twitter are Just Silent
- SFGafe: Most Twitter Users are less than Twitter-obsessed
- VentureBeat: Twitter Study Finds More Lurkers than Active Users
- Mashable: Are Twitter Users Inactive?
Webinar: Twitter for Marketing and PR
Download the free webinar for tips and tricks to drive inbound marketing using Twitter.