In the marketing world, like most facets of life and business, there's a lot of pressure to come up with original ideas.
Trouble is, with seemingly millions of ideas being executed on a daily basis, it can be tough to cook up something truly original -- and that's okay. An idea doesn't have to be unique to be great. In fact, there are some really awesome examples of great marketing out there that you can lean on to inspire your next project. (Austin Kleon calls this concept "stealing like an artist.")
But finding these examples isn't always easy. That's where we come in. We've collected 12 places on the web where you can browse and search for examples of great marketing -- including website design, design in general, email marketing, and social media pages. Check them out, bookmark them, and use them to inspire your own marketing strategy.
12 Places to Find Examples of Great Marketing
Whenever I'm looking for examples of beautiful website design, Crayon is the first place I go. Their database has over 15 million webpages -- everything from homepages to blogs to landing pages.
Looking for webpage design for a specific industry, content management system (CMS), device, or traffic volume? No problem: For each of those categories, there are dozens of filters to choose from. It truly is a one-stop shop.
Like Crayon, Awwwards is chock full of examples of website design, landing pages, and so on. It's not just a collection of these designs, though: Every example on here is either a nominee or a winner of one of their awards for design, creativity, and innovation on the web. Their examples tend to include more examples of unique, digital "experiences," rather than just cut-and-dry webpages.
They have some advanced filtering options to streamline your browsing. The categories you can filter by include things like "technology," "design agencies," "promotional," "ecommerce," and "hotel/restaurant." You can also filter by color if you're looking for inspiration for a particular color scheme. Finally, they have a lot of international examples to browse through, and you can even filter by country.
Looking for email marketing inspiration? Check out The Best of Email's "Inspiration Gallery," which has great examples of all kinds of emails you can sort through by type: newsletter signup pages, welcome emails, sale emails, holiday emails, birthday emails ... the list goes on. You can subscribe to their daily newsletter if you're in the market for inspiration on a regular basis.
This resource focuses on the nitty gritty details of web design that can make it so helpful, delightful, and inspiring. They're curated via submission by Floris Dekker, senior product design manager at Etsy, and digital designer and developer Andrew McCarthy.
The posts themselves are super short -- each one simply highlights a helpful design feature. Take the post below, for example: If your Twitter login attempt doesn't work, Twitter offers to email you a one-click login link. Someone at Twitter thought through that little design detail and put it on the website, and these folks thought it was worth sharing:
HubSpot Academy serves as a great resource for "HubSpot-approved best practices in action." To make it easy to navigate, you can filter by page type. -- blogs, landing pages, calls-to-action, thank-you pages, etc. You can also filter by category, like B2B, B2C, education, or nonprofits.
While the examples include only websites that were built using HubSpot's software, they're a great place to browse for ideas and inspiration.
HubSpot Academy's library also includes emails and lead nurturing examples that serve as great inspiration for your efforts. All you have to do is filter by one of those two categories.
If you're looking for even more examples of "HubSpot-approved" marketing inspiration, we also have a ton of resources available on our blog. From social media to email to website design, the following posts represent some of our best roundups for inspiring great ideas.
- 15 of the Best Website Homepage Examples: Examples from software and tech, ecommerce and retail, agencies and studios, food and drink, nonprofits, and more.
- 17 of the Best Examples of Beautiful Blog Design: A list of some of the best-designed blogs on the web.
- 11 Great Landing Page Examples You'll Want to Copy: Landing pages from all different industries that both follow best practices and implement cool, inspiring experiments.
- 12 'About Us' Pages That Are Probably Better Than Yours: Companies with remarkable "About Us" pages that showcase their uniqiue identity through design.
- 15 Examples of Great Mobile Website Design: From Etsy to The Huffington Post, get inspired by the brands who are leading the way for mobile web design.
- 12 of the Best Email Marketing Examples You've Ever Seen: Examples of great emails along with what makes each one great.
- 15 Email Newsletter Examples We Love Getting in Our Inboxes: Examples of great email newsletters, from TheSkimm and NextDraft to Very Short List and Think Clearly.
- The 15 Best Facebook Pages You've Ever Seen: From Nutella to L.L. Bean, we combed the web to find some of the brands who are rocking their Facebook Pages.
- 20 Brilliant Twitter Cover Photo Examples From Real Brands: Companies around the world who can show what a Twitter header photo done right looks like.
- 8 Companies Totally Rocking Their LinkedIn Company Pages: Check out the B2B and B2C companies that are making the most of their LinkedIn Company Pages.
- The 17 Best College Instagram Accounts (And Why They're So Darn Good): Colleges and universities around the globe that are posting awesome Instagram content on a regular basis, from shots of campus buildings to live-action photos of sports games to colorful graphics promoting school-sponsored campaigns.
Abduzeedo's "Collections" section of their website is an awesome place to browse examples of cool design, from package design to desktop wallpapers to illustrations. What's especially great about these examples is that they're often accompanied by a short description or introduction, which helps put the designs in context or explain what makes them so great.
You can either browse all of their collections at once by recency, or you can sort by category, including architecture, logos, photography, typography, and more.
Dribbble calls themselves a "show and tell for designers." It's a community of designers who share screenshots of their work, process, and projects -- making it an awesome place to find design examples. Whether you're looking for inspiration in graphic design, illustrations, icons, typography, logos, or something else, you'll be able to find it on this site.
Each screenshot is called a "shot," and you can browse shots by popularity, recency, designer, or by "featured playoffs." Playoffs are "shots with rebounds from multiple players" -- in other words, they're shots that a lot of other designers have interacted with and shared.
Never underestimate Pinterest as a resource for great design examples. We use it all the time to look for design examples like infographics, ebook covers, and page layouts.
Simply type a few keywords in the search bar, press enter, and scroll. They aren't curated, of course, so you'll have to sort through to find the good ones.
10) Creative Bloq
You may know Creative Bloq for their articles on graphic design, infographics, typography, branding, and illustration. Turns out they have some really well curated "example" articles in a similar style to our own on the HubSpot blog. Here are a few of our favorites, and you can find others by searching for "examples" in the search bar.
- 30 Great Examples of Pixel Art
- 23 Inspiring Examples of Pointillism
- 35 Must-See Examples of Billboard Advertising
- 85 Amazing HTML Examples
Canva's blog, "Design School," is another place with a wealth of articles on design tips, including great example posts. They're a little harder to find individually, but here are a few of our favorites:
- Minimalist Design: 25 Beautiful Examples and Practical Tips
- Designing With Black and White: 50 Striking Examples For Your Inspiration
- 40 Examples of Classic Branding Next to the Modern Version
- 50 Brilliant Flyer Designs and What You Can Learn From Them
- 50 Beautiful & Functional Invoice Designs: Examples to Inspire You
Really Good Emails is exactly what you think it is: a database of really good examples of email marketing. Its simple, Pinterest-style layout makes it super easy to browse. Another cool feature? When you click into an email, you'll be able to see both the desktop and mobile versions.
The categories are a little more ad hoc than many of the other resources on these list, but useful ones include things like abandoned cart emails, events emails, product launch emails, and so on. They also offer a weekly newsletter if you want to receive inspiration on the regular.
Which are your go-to resources for examples of great marketing? Share them with us in the comments.