Episode #88 - April 16, 2010
(Episode Length: 30 minutes, 32 seconds)
How to interact on Twitter: Include
in your tweet! On the show today is @
and special guest co-host @
- As always, all the old episodes are in iTunes: http://itunes.hubspot.tv If you like the show, please leave a 5-star review !
Special Co-Host: Jeff Cutler, Social Media Journalist
Doing It Right
- 24,246 views in 48 hours (Not bad for a B2B company!)
- Happy Foursquare Day! #4sqday (Check-ins get the special badge!)
- "Foursquare Day started as whimsical thought by Nate Bonilla-Warford ... During this time, the concept of Foursquare Day grew from simply being a day to check-in, to the first global social media holiday."
- LocaModa Gives Away Custom 4SQ Apps for Foursquare Day
- Will Foursquare Hit One Million Members on Foursquare Day?
- "According to Co-Founder Dennis Crowley, the company had nothing to do with the day except the creation of a special badge — it was devised 100% by fans of the service."
- Marketing Takeaway: Encourage excitement among your fans and followers. You never know where it can lead.
Speed Matters to Google
- Need for Speed: Google Adds Load Time to Algorithm
- "The search engine giant has recently added site speed to its algorithm, taking into account the speed at which a website responds to web requests."
- Free tools include: Page Speed, YSlow, WebPageTest, Google Webmaster Tools (links in the article)
- It’s Official: Google Now Counts Site Speed As A Ranking Factor
- "Google's algorithm has about 200 different ranking factors, and even though Google is taking the unusual step of publicly announcing a new factor, Cutts says site owners shouldn't overestimate the impact of page speed on rankings."
- Marketing Takeaway: Test your speed using free tools, but don't obsess over it. Content quality still matters more!
Twitter Finally Looks at Making $$
Twitter Launches Advertising Platform: Promoted Tweets
- "Now Twitter has announced details behind its long-anticipated advertising platform. The new ad platform will be called Promoted Tweets, and allow companies to display corporate tweets along side search results in Twitter Search, similar to the way Google displays ads in search results."
- Twitter To Roll Out "Promoted Tweets": Initial Thoughts (Developing)
- Marketing Takeaway: Keep your eye on this, it's early yet to make educated predictions.
- Monica Elias asks, "What reasons could we tell our clients to make them know the power of having a Facebook page?"
Marketing Tip of the Week: Go to the shoe store! Put on the shoes of your partners, your customers and your colleagues, and interpret your messages from their perspective. It will give you a fresh look at how the world views your marketing efforts, and probably give you a kick in the pants to do things better!
Join Dan Zarrella, HubSpot's Social Media Scientist and author of the Social Media Marketing Book for a 30 minute overview of the Science of ReTweets!
Download the webinar to learn what makes tweets contagious and how to create tweets that will go viral and increase your reach and authority.