So you know you want to enter sales, you've chosen a field with a wide range of career avenues and niches. But locking in on a role you can secure and grow in can be tough.
The demand for certain sales roles rises and falls as time passes. We wanted to provide you with a list of some of the most hireable sales jobs for 2023 and beyond — so you can choose the best job for you.
Most Hireable Sales Jobs Right Now
1. Medical or Pharmaceutical Sales Reps
Educational Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent, Bachelor's degree
Average Job Salary
- Generate new leads and follow up on potential leads
- Conduct market and field research that may include tracking prescription patterns or conducting surveys
- Educate medical providers on the side effects, potential drug interactions, benefits, and uses of certain medications or medical devices and treatments
- Communicate the benefits and uses for certain medications as it pertains to a provider and their patient’s needs
The job outlook for medical or pharmaceutical sales reps is on the rise after COVID-19 brought a huge demand for healthcare workers and job growth in the pharmaceutical industry. In fact, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 9% increase in medical sales roles between 2021 and 2031. Average compensation for the role is expected to grow as well
Pharmaceutical and medical sales is a massive industry with many opportunities for sales reps. And it offers an optimistic outlook for aspiring sales reps, looking for job security.
2. Travel Agent
Educational Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent, experience in sales, other relevant certification or education
Average Job Salary: $43,810
- Sell transportation, lodging, and entertainment activities to individuals and groups
- Provide support for itinerary changes or troubleshooting through trips
- Maintaining statistical and financial records
About 7,500 openings for travel agents are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings will stem from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or retire.
3. Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agent
Educational Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent, experience in sales, Bachelor's degree
Average Job Salary: $62,910
- Offer advice on the purchase or sale of particular securities
- Buy and sell securities, such as stocks and bonds
- Monitor financial markets and the performance of individual securities
- Analyze company finances to provide recommendations for public offerings, mergers, and acquisitions
This role combines sales and customer service by handling almost all client needs for your customers. requires an extensive understanding of finance to back it up.
Employment of securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents is projected to grow 10% from 2021 to 2031 — faster than the average for all occupations. About 46,600 openings for securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents are projected each year, on average, over the decade.
4. Sales Engineer
Educational Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Business
Average Job Salary: $103,710
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations explaining products or services to existing and prospective customers
- Talk with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine system requirements
- Collaborate with sales teams to understand customer requirements and provide sales support
- Secure and renew orders and arrange delivery
In the last few years, sales engineer salaries have increased by nine percent, with a projected growth rate of 6% over the coming decade. While the position is in high demand, this type of salesperson has to have extensive technical knowledge to sell a product or service B2B to prospective customers.
5. Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Reps
Educational Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent, Bachelor's degree related to the product sold
Average Job Salary: $62,890
- Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, and attending trade shows and conferences
- Contact new and existing customers to discuss their needs and explain how specific products and services can meet these needs
- Help select products to meet customers needs, product specifications, and regulations
- Negotiate prices and terms of sales and service agreements and answer questions about prices, availability, and limitations
Overall employment of wholesale and manufacturing sales reps is projected to grow 4% from 2021 to 2031, which is average for all occupations. Despite the slower growth than other listed jobs, the number of projected openings is about 170,000 annually, on average, over the decade.
Choose a Sales Role with Security
Sales jobs will always be necessary for any industry to flourish, the trick is to find a role with staying power and job security. When applying for a position this year, consider the business need and your depth of knowledge in that field — and combine the two to secure the best one for you.