Anything worth doing -- cooking a homemade meal, running a marathon, learning a new instrument -- never comes easily.
This is especially true of achieving professional growth. Professional growth requires you to replace routine with risk. It calls for vulnerability, courage, and a willingness to get your hands a little dirty.
Having spent more than a decade researching these concepts, there is no one more qualified to speak on this subject than BrenéBrown.
Brené Brown, Ph.D., LMSW, is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work … but she’s really so much more than that: Her TED talk on vulnerability is one of the most-watched videos on the site. She's an INBOUND 2015 speaker and a New York Times best-selling author. And she's the founder and CEO of The Daring Way.
But perhaps most importantly, she’s an inspiration.
To give you a better idea of just how inspiring she is, we put together a tweetable list of her wisest words.
22 Tweetable Quotes From Brené Brown
1) “Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.”
2) “Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day.”
3) “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.”
4) “Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we're all in this together.”
5) “Hope is a function of struggle.”
6) “What we know matters but who we are matters more.”
7) “Staying vulnerable is a risk we have to take if we want to experience connection.”
8) “Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites.”
9) “The willingness to show up changes us. It makes us a little braver each time.”
10) “Maybe stories are just data with a soul.”
11) “Hope is not an emotion; it's a way of thinking or a cognitive process.”
12) "Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it."
13) "Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
14) "There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in."
15) "DIG Deep -- get deliberate, inspired, and going."
16) "Sometimes when we dare to walk into the arena the greatest critic we face is ourselves."
17) "If we want to reignite innovation and passion, we have to rehumanize work."
18) "Shaming and blaming without accountability is toxic."
19) "Perfection is an unattainable goal."
20) “You can't ever do anything brave if you're wearing the straitjacket of 'what will people think?!'”
21) “Daring greatly is not about winning or losing.”
22) “Empathy is a strange and powerful thing. There is no script.”
Originally published Aug 18, 2015 7:00:00 AM, updated July 28 2017